Any one got a water well ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
My water tank down at camp cycles way to fast and I think I need to bleed it or something.. I remember it would take about 45 secs to fill in the past but now it pressurizes ( I wont say fill ) in seconds and cycles on and off while the water runs... There is a guage about halfway up and a thing that looks like it might be a bleader under it. Anyone have any knowledge about this ?

The tank is very old..probably from late 60's, early 70's. RAQ suggested there is no bladder in there and that I should drain the tank with the pump off and it might solve my problem. If I was to replace the tank with a new one, what might I be looking at spending ?

To drain the tank, you have to provide a way for air to get into the tank as you let the water drain out (with the pump shut off). Hopefully, you have a shutoff valve after the tank going to the house. If so, shut it off and disconnect the pipe between the tank and the valve. (I had a spigot plumbed in right at the output of the tank in the old one I had!). The "bleeder" can probably be opened to let the air into the tank. Completely empty the tank and then reconnect everything. It's the air in the tank which compresses and keeps the water pressure up, relieving the pump

What lantern said about doing it NOW before it eats a $1000 pump.:shock:

New bladder tanks start at about $150 depending on size. A 5 or 8 gallon one should be more than enough for a low-volume situation like a camp.

take your hand and beat on the tank... if it sounds hollow... it is probably ok... if it sounds like it is full of water.. .you need a new tank.

been there.. done that.. got the T-shirt (more than once)

Heading back to camp Friday afternoon..Ill post a full report Sunday night if Im not to hungover...Thanks for all the suggestions..

We have an old bladderless tank up at the cottage, when we lose pressure the tank has lost the air space above the water level. We have a jet pump so once the air gap is lost it can't pressurize the tank and the tank needs to be drained.

We have a drain valve on the tank, we crack that bad boy open and the tank begins to make a bubbling noise. When it stops bubbling, we know we've regained the air gap and close the valve. We re-prime the jet pump and get her going.

I'd assume you have a piston pump? It'll still pump with no air gap but it would explain the pump running only when the water is on.

Gary in VA said:
take your hand and beat on the tank... if it sounds hollow... it is probably ok... if it sounds like it is full of water.. .you need a new tank.

been there.. done that.. got the T-shirt (more than once)
So if the tank sounds hollow like his head...its a bad tank :LOL:

On my way back from camp... Drained the tank and all my problems are solved. Thanks for the help !

Back
Top Bottom