Any experience with a parent with Alzheimers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
My mother has it, and my sisters and I are trying to get her into an assisted living environment. She is resisting, but she has seen one place she likes near her home. We're trying to get power of attorney, and will have to sell her house and everything. Not sure what the first steps are.

Any advice?

Thanks friends.

Sorry Capt. can't help you out with how to go about it. My buddy is going through it right now with his father in law. He is bucking them the whole way too. 99% of the time, once they get settled into a place, they have activities for them to do and they meet others and end up happy. When my motehr had to pu my grandmother in a nursing home years ago it was hard on everybody. Once she got settled in she became the mayor of the place helping everybody and had a great time! Good luck to you and your sisters.

I think she'll be happy there, but getting her in is a different story. My sister is living with her now, and is very frustrated. This disease stinks. Her long term memory is great, but she asks you the same questions
3 times in a 10 minute span. My father died of cancer years ago...hard to choose between the two for a way to go.

I could only imagine. Do you know anybody in a home that your mother would know that you can take her to visit? If she was able to talk to somone already in a home it may help. Just a thought.

Sorry to hear about your mom Cappy. Sounds like she's lucky to have children like you and your sister though that are willing to care for her in this terrible time. Hope everything works out well you her and your family.

You know what? It serves as a message to us all. "Life is never going to get any better than today. Our parents will get old and die, our kids will grow up and leave. We will get old, creaky, and feeble. Enjoy what you've got, today! Be thankful." Woodman :rant:

Assisted Living

Hey Cap. I have some experience with extended (assisted) living arrangements for a parent. My experience with Alzheimer’s is purely clinical as observed form a distance. Rather than go into any detail here on the site I'll make the offer to have you call me and I can share what I know. Not to sound like a hard ass here but a significant portion of the path forward is financial, which I'm sure you are already aware of. Send me an email with your response and we can make arrangements to chat.

Excellent advice Tex, I've got a reccomendation coming today (I hope) from an attorney I know re: a good elder care lawyer in Charlotte.
I'm hoping he will show me the best way to handle situations like you just described, because this is all new to me.

And Airboss, sorry I didn't call over the weekend, but I would like to speak with you. I'll try to call at a convenient time.

My sisters have done some snooping, and I think we're in pretty good shape money wise....we've found an assisted living place that meets our budget, she does have long term health care coverage which may pay a portion of the costs, and selling her house should give her a decent nest egg to cover any medical expenses that will inevitably pop up.

I feel better that I did last week. Thanks for all the good words.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom