Any AC/Heathing guys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
That's not a bad deal. Is the new flue stainless steel? That job would go for about two grand more here in N.Y. using York equipment. Just did my ma & pa's place here about 4 years ago and that was 5 grand with out AC.

*** Installing new indoor cooling coils sometimes will kill an old compressor.
Not true if they replace the dryer and pull a good vac on the system before recharging. If it was a R-12 system they can "shoot" it with nitrogen to clean it out. You can't mix 134-A with R-12 you also have to change the oil (PAG oil) in the pump and use "Hot Shot" in place of R-12

The only other thing I would add is if you do change ot the system I would reccomend looking closely at the electrical disconnect. If the AC system is that old the disconnect could have weathered badly. It'snot likely but I have seen brand new HVAC systems begin to have trouble because the electrical disconnect being faulty, and costing several trips by AC techs who can't find a faulty electrical system issue. It is something that wouldn't cost very much to check out when the system is upgraded.

Seems about right for the price. As far as the parts you're trying to keep being in good order on a system that old, they should be. If you were keeping the house I'd say replace the ductwork. But since you're about to unload it, just have the system checked for black mold. I don't know how strict y'all are about that in Texas, but it's not pleasant stuff.

I have been a Licensed commercial HVAC contractor for over 35 years.
The price seems high get 2 more quotes from other contractors. Without looking at how much work room is there in your attic & is the outside unit easy to get at ( no fences walls ect...) It still seems high. You should ask about the new R410 units their SEER rating is 18+ This will save you $$$
on operating cost here in the south

Back
Top Bottom