annual goose hunt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Griff

Master Chef
I got back from my annual goose hunt in Cold Bay, Alaska a couple of weeks ago, but work got crazy and I didn't have time to post amy pics. the weather was great for goose hunting, wind 30 gusting to 50 from the NW right off the Bering Sea.

Here's my son, my self, and my brother-in-law with a limit of geese.
[attachment=14:1a7206mb]3guys.JPG[/attachment:1a7206mb]

Here's my son and I humping geese on a different day.
[attachment=13:1a7206mb]bobson.JPG[/attachment:1a7206mb]

This is my son, my b-i-l, and a good friend friend Bill. Bill lives in Cold Bay and is a great waterfowl guide.
[attachment=12:1a7206mb]rgb.JPG[/attachment:1a7206mb]

Cold Bay was initially a WW2 Army Air Corps Base and has a primitive road system left over from the war. Depending on where we were hunting we had two means of transportation, my b-i-l's pick up or Bill's Rhino. They both packed a lot of geese.
[attachment=11:1a7206mb]goosetruck.JPG[/attachment:1a7206mb]
[attachment=10:1a7206mb]rb.JPG[/attachment:1a7206mb]

The real hero of the trip was my son's dog, Vader.
[attachment=9:1a7206mb]robVad.JPG[/attachment:1a7206mb]
[attachment=8:1a7206mb]vad.JPG[/attachment:1a7206mb]
[attachment=7:1a7206mb]Vadgoose.JPG[/attachment:1a7206mb]
We wore that dog out, he was too tired to eat.
[attachment=6:1a7206mb]Vadsleep.JPG[/attachment:1a7206mb]

Speaking of wore out. It took me a while to muster the strength to make it up the last hill. I was running on fumes. Note the dog's pack, he was carrying 4 geese.
[attachment=5:1a7206mb]tiredgriff.JPG[/attachment:1a7206mb]

These white headed geese are Emperor geese and are a protected species.
[attachment=4:1a7206mb]beachgoose.JPG[/attachment:1a7206mb]
These are a rare ducks. They are Asian widgeons that got blown over to Alaska in a storm. They're the first I've ever seen in 41 years of hunting waterfowl in Alaska.
[attachment=3:1a7206mb]asianwidgeon.JPG[/attachment:1a7206mb]

Finally, here's the mandatory bear track pic.
[attachment=2:1a7206mb]bearprint.JPG[/attachment:1a7206mb]

This was one of the best waterfowl hunts I've had in year

Here's a couple pics from a hunt I wasn't on, but it's my 12 year old nephew's second moose. Note he was shooting with iron sights.
[attachment=1:1a7206mb]P1030770 (Medium).JPG[/attachment:1a7206mb]
[attachment=0:1a7206mb]P1030763 (Medium).JPG[/attachment:1a7206mb]

Griff your pictures are always AMAZING! If it wasn't so cold in Alaska, I'd love to live there! You ever try hunting geese with a bow and arrow? LOL

My nephew lives in Alaska. Now I'm doubly envious. Great pics, great time. Be good to that dog, he's earned it.

Great hunt and pics. Think yall taught them Asian Widgeons a valuable lesson in the hazards of violating Alaskan airspace. Now is that a flashlight on the underside of the young Moose Slayers rifle? Surely not. Some kind of fancy silencer maybe?

Goober said:
Now is that a flashlight on the underside of the young Moose Slayers rifle? Surely not. Some kind of fancy silencer maybe?

Looks like a bipod, in the folded position, to me.

Iron sights? (I thought I was the only one that still used those.) Nice!!!! Great pics Griff as always!

Sights? Now down here in God's Country we shoot from the hip just to make it fair. Glad to hear that is a tripod on the Moose Gun. I thought it was a Texas Deer rifle with a flashlight on bottom.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom