Amateur radio license?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Missing Link

Sous Chef
Does anyone on this site have his or her Amateur radio license? I just start a class yesterday to get my license. I was in the class thinking about you guys and wanted to know if there may be some people on hear who may have there license. I have a lot to learn and so far it has been fun.

Thanks,
Chris.

I been using a cell phone for several years now. LOL Just bustin your chops. :D
Do you still have to master morris code?

I heard you need to pass a typing test before they give you that permit, Link...fingers crossed for you!! ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I have a Galaxy 959 CB with a 3,000 watt kicker...doubt it would reach you...but I do get some distance...and no permit required! :D

The morse code is not a part of the license anymore. That is one reason way I’m going after it and the other reason is because I like join the c.e.r.t. Greg I have a nice cb setup. That how I got in to this and no one ever said I needed typing before you LOL. Greg would you like to sale that kicker?

Nope! Do you have one that I make like are to sale? What are some good web site for looking and shoping for a radio?

Hi ML

John is correct. My call sign is KL7BG, extra class license. They have dropped the morse code requirement for most of the licenses. I think you will be hard pressed to do better than the ARRL study guides. All of the exams are taken from a pool of questions and the question pools can be found at http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/pools.html.

Good luck. It's been a hobby of mine since high school and that was back when the radios had tubes.

Ham License

I hold a General class license. Call sign is KF4YVB. The ARRL study book is the best one, IMHO. Gordo's tend to be a bit too dry for me.
Head over to qrz.com & take some practice exams. The tech test isn't that hard.
BTW -- if you do a bit of digging, you might find our ARES group written up in a few magazines. Williamson County (TN) ARES. www.wcares.org
Good luck!

Greg -- you might want to edit that post about an 3K cb amp. They are not smiled upon by the FCC....Better not to admit online.

I'm goin for my general class at the end of the month.. Ive been doing the freebanding thing for years now.. Conditions have been kinda scarce latley...

How funny, I had a old tube Hellacrafter transmitter and receiver back in high school. Dad was not happy when the electric bill came. Hell, you could heat the house when that puppy was lit up. :LOL: Had a TUG-8 D-104 microphone too. Lot's of fun! May have to get back into the "ham" hobby. (pun intended)

Man, look at all you guys with radios. Who would-a thought. I used to be a field radio repairman in the army over in Germany. Used to de-tune the coil to the antenna on the big transmitters to see how red the power tube plate would get without burning it out. Hey, GI's can find weird entertainment when bored. :LOL:

I need some information from all you hams out there? I would like information on what is the best antennas for ham radios?

I would like to find one for the home base that I can use on 2m all the way to 10m are more I would love a home base antenna that can do all the bands for a cheap prices?

I would like a antenna for the car use to?

What do yall think about this radio. FT857D? http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/1857.html
what to you think about this HT http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?acti ... =ZYS-VX-7R

Thanks,
Chris.

The Missing Link said:
I need some information from all you hams out there? I would like information on what is the best antennas for ham radios?

I would like to find one for the home base that I can use on 2m all the way to 10m are more I would love a home base antenna that can do all the bands for a cheap prices?

Link, you're really jumping into this hobby big time. To answer your antenna question, 10m is HF and 2m is VHF. Any antenna that tunes on both bands would be a major compromise. I don't know where you live in Texas but there's probably 2m repeaters all over the place. In other words, your little 5 watt handheld will work just fine. You won't need a 2m antenna if the handheld will trip the repeater.

The Missing Link said:

You can buy antennas that cover all the HF (160m through 10m ) bands, but again you get a compromise. When I was really active in this hobby, I had an 80m dipole wire antenna and a triband (20, 15, and 10m ) rotatable three element beam. Antennas are extremely important when you're dealing with radio waves.

I urge you to goggle the nearest local ham club meeting and then show up. You'll find these people love to help.

KL7BG

Ive been lookin @ that 756 Pro III Jeeeezz what a SWEET Rig! Anybody wanna buy an Arm??? LMAO

In my experience...Good Antenna and Cheap are not usually in the same sentence. For 10m/11m Ive got a great Omni Directional base antenna made by a guy out in Cali .... www.a1antennas.com He's supposed to be sending me one of his new Crusader Beams for a trial run.

http://www.tennadyne.com/ I have heard many good things about those antenna's ...

Good Luck!! Keep us posted on what you end up getting

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom