a question about black heat paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WalterSC

Head Chef
Hiya all , I would like to ask a question maybe someone here can answer it??

My refit og my 55 gallon drum smoker /with side box is almost complete , my questionis this , if I use the high heat black spray paint all onver the surface of the grill will that help keep some of the heat in while smoking, and if it wont what will help??

My local friend finaly got all the stuff he needed , he is making me a chimney out of a piece of stainless steel truck exhaust pipe bent and cut to fit my smoker. Good part is he is not charging me a dime for anything!!

The paint won't help keep heat in a pit, the main factor is the thickness of the metal. Lining the firbox with fire brick can help retain heat, a waterpan in the horizonal at the opening to the firebox can help.
A packing blanket over the horizonal in cold weather. A cover to keep rain off also can help ie: a canopy. Keeping the pit out of the wind also helps.
Jim

jminion said:
The paint won't help keep heat in a pit, the main factor is the thickness of the metal. Lining the firbox with fire brick can help retain heat, a waterpan in the horizonal at the opening to the firebox can help.
A packing blanket over the horizonal in cold weather. A cover to keep rain off also can help ie: a canopy. Keeping the pit out of the wind also helps.
Jim

Thanks Jim!!!!

CarlDeCook said:
Hey, Walter, send me a picture of your new smoker. I want to add a smoking, BBQ and deep frying section to my site and you can kick it off..
And, thanks for telling me about BBQ-4-U

Just found out I wont get it back till Tuesday ahh well so much for the pork buts I have in the freezer !! Carl I was gald to point ya here , its a great group to be in !! As soon as the grill is brought back done I will use the digital camera to take pics so all can see. I saw it today its in pieces, I almost freaked out LOL..

zilla said:
you can also throw a blanket over the top of the pit. Guys up north do this to help retain heat in the cold weather.

Zilla

Thanks Zilla , I am going with those silver lined blankets that folks use to keep warm in the field that should do the trick!!

Walter, that's terrible...I think he's doing everything for free, but doesn't he realize that Labor Day is one of the Q'ers Official Holidays?

Captain Morgan said:
Walter, that's terrible...I think he's doing everything for free, but doesn't he realize that Labor Day is one of the Q'ers Official Holidays?

Yep but I still have my Kenmore gas grill so I am going to figure out how to do the pork but on that any ideas out there ???

Walter

how many burners? If you turn one on low you will probably be able to keep temps around 250. Then let it ride indirect till its done. You know how to do the chips in foil thing?

Captain Morgan said:
how many burners? If you turn one on low you will probably be able to keep temps around 250. Then let it ride indirect till its done. You know how to do the chips in foil thing?

2 burners, 2 warmer shelves. Yep I can do the foil pakage thing very easily. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom