A note about fire safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

backyardbbq

Senior Cook
THANK GOODNESS NO ONE WAS HURT, and secondly no major property damage was done.

You bring up a good point about fire safety though, when in doubt drown it out. It can make for more clean up of a bbq pit, but that's better than the alternative.

WE in the buisness call that a re-kindle. Days after a house fire has been extinguished a hidden hot spot can re-ignite. I will recomend to everyone that they get a fire place bucket from a local hardware store and put all ashes in it for at least 3-4 days before discarding them. They are cheaper than a fire.

Chrome_bucket.jpg

My airtite wood stove will hold hot coals for 24 hours easily after the fire has gone "out". Glad it didn't happen when it was next to your garage !

Bill The Grill Guy said:
WE in the buisness call that a re-kindle. Days after a house fire has been extinguished a hidden hot spot can re-ignite. I will recomend to everyone that they get a fire place bucket from a local hardware store and put all ashes in it for at least 3-4 days before discarding them. They are cheaper than a fire.

Chrome_bucket.jpg

I got one Bill.
We got a wood burnin fireplace & thats what we put the ashes in.
Yes they will stay hot for a few days too.

img_143706_0_b54d406c44f863f75da959aaa871bf62.jpg

I put hot ashes in the little Weber kettle I have and then close it up. I let them sit in there for a few days without air before I throw them out. This also works good in the winter with the wood stove ashes.

Of course you could always take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it half with water before you dump ashes into it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom