A new addition to my family

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
My wife and I suprised our daughter with this little guy on X Mas morning.
He was the first to leave the litter. It's like having a new baby in the house.
Puff hasn't had much sleep.

img_208631_0_57761b4c9be4d3dd4607e54bf7ed2478.jpg

img_208631_1_6ec43b6ebf3ca70dc861b4782d3f732f.jpg

Beautiful dog Puff!! Darla is growing up to be a little beauty herself, better keep the shotgun loaded.

For what it's worth, save yourself and the pup some stress and buy a crate. It will make both of your lives better and house train the pup.

Dang Puff..I'm highly impressed. Fine looking pooch and gharhontee that beautiful female child inherited the good looks from her Mama:)

bigwheel

No crate.... crates are for chickens and monkeys

Simple way to house train a puppy.........

Puppies can not hold food or water too long after ingestion
The first few weeks as much as you possibly can, keep the food and water UP away from
puppy as much as you can unless you have time to spend with puppy.

As soon as the puppy eats on drinks, take it outside. Remain outside until it does it's business.
The very second it is done make a huge deal about it with tons of praise, petting and play.
Within 2 weeks...3 weeks tops, the pup will be completely house trained.

Our Chocolate Lab is now 10+ years old and not ever had one accident in the house yet. Probably
just jinxed myself.

A friend of mine has a Rottweiler... he was brilliant enough to buy "Puppy Training Pads", he said it was to train the dog.
It worked awesome!!!! Right where he kept those pee pads is where the dog constantly pees on the floor now...
and probably will pee forever.

I can't see putting water and food UP away from a puppy that just left the Mama and needs nourishment for the sake of training. Larry we do have a crate that we will use due to our work schedules and plan on using it. Joe neither my wife or I have ever heard of those "pee pads" but are going to look into getting some. I hope you didn't jinx yourself.
It's nice having a dog again after losing our "Bootsy" a few years back. I just hope my daughter is ready for the task.

Bigwheel........I used to be a really good looking guy a long time ago.
I know I threw a gene or two in there somewhere. Must be the eyes. :mrgreen:

Smokey_Joe said:
No crate.... crates are for chickens and monkeys

Simple way to house train a puppy.........

Puppies can not hold food or water too long after ingestion
The first few weeks as much as you possibly can, keep the food and water UP away from
puppy as much as you can unless you have time to spend with puppy.

As soon as the puppy eats on drinks, take it outside. Remain outside until it does it's business.
The very second it is done make a huge deal about it with tons of praise, petting and play.
Within 2 weeks...3 weeks tops, the pup will be completely house trained.

Our Chocolate Lab is now 10+ years old and not ever had one accident in the house yet. Probably
just jinxed myself.

A friend of mine has a Rottweiler... he was brilliant enough to buy "Puppy Training Pads", he said it was to train the dog.
It worked awesome!!!! Right where he kept those pee pads is where the dog constantly pees on the floor now...
and probably will pee forever.

Crates are not only for house training 'potty wise' but to also save your valuables, furniture etc. from the puppy chewing them and or chewing onto a live wire. Crates are very humane if used correctly, eventually the puppy will automatically 'want' to go to the crate, that's it's 'Den'.....that is why they will not go to the bathroom in it.

Feeding schedules can vary depending on the individuals schedule, but you obviously should not feed and water a puppy before heading to work in the morning and expect them to hold it all day.

No matter how you work your schedule, the dog should be kept in the crate when unattended and IMMEDIATELY taken outside when you let it out of the crate.

The first couple days, the puppy will more than likely bark until you go nuts, give it a couple days and he'll be happy when it's Crate Time.

I've done this with every dog I've had and I have never had a dog chew up a valuable, furniture or wire, etc.

EVERY DOG and I MEAN EVERY DOG whether it's 4 month or 10 years old eventually has an accident, period. They get sick too.....

Not a better gift than the loyalty and friendship you get out of a dog.

I gotta agree with the crate method. I had a dog trainer friend who swore by them. The crate needs to be the right size though, dog will not go where they sleep, if the crate is too big the dog will use one corner as a bathroom.
That crate being their den is spot on too, dogs need to have their own space too.

Great pics, thanks for posting them.

Crates are the way to go. Last fall when we flew out to Cold Bay to go hunting, the dogs that were crate trained we're no sweat on the small plane. Some other guy's dog was a real problem just getting it into the kennel. The place where we stayed required us to keep the labs in the garage. We put the kennels in the the garage with the doors open. After a hard day of fetching geese, the dogs would go through the open door and go to sleep. It was where they wanted to stay.

Petco sells them pee pads if you look to try them out... maybe he did something wrong using them....
I guess they have some natural scent on them that encourages the puppy to use them or something?

Forgot to ask.... what kind of puppy? Looks a lot like a Golden Retriever?

Larry... you say
"EVERY DOG and I MEAN EVERY DOG whether it's 4 month or 10 years old eventually has an accident, period."
Well I guess we been very lucky and outside that "every" group. Or maybe our Lab is super smart and cleans up
after herself? We did have a cat once that would poop in the toilet.... never could get the dang thing to flush though.

The pup is a yellow lab, golden retriever mix.
Pretty long night for Puff last night. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom