20 Pound Ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
Caught it on sale at Tom Thumb for .99 One of the water added pre smoked models. It's chuckling away in the oven as we speak panned up with a cup o water and tight fitting foil on top. Directions say 325 till it hits 160. Already smelling purty good. Anybody got a good glaze for it which could be produced with commonly available ingredients? Its way too cold to go to the store. Thanks.

bigwheel

ya know, glazing a ham always seemed like a waste to me....you
slice it thin, the glaze is on the outside, and about 1 percent of your
slice has glaze on it.

Why not just put whatever you want on the slice on your plate?

Wow Cappy..your so smart it can be sorta skerry :shock: I had noticed the same problemo on glazing loins. The glaze taste good there just aint a real copious amount of it in relation to the mass of the meat. What I need is a a special ham sauce to be served at the table. Seems like my Mama used to make some sweet sauce that had raisins in it and you just spunnel it over your slices if you want. Let us consider some options on the special sauce. Thanks.

bigwheel

Well thanks. That would be a good plan but unfortunatly I aint got no raisins. Think I will go looky around for something that can be made with preserves. I got apricot and grape I think. Also strawberry but that would prob taste funny on there.

bigwheel

Bigwheel, if that's a pre-smoked 'Ready cook' (smoked and cured) ham, pull it at no more than 150º. 160º in my opinion will be a bit high and possibly dry finished product. I pull mine at 145º and they climb up to about 150º while resting.

Here's a couple ideas for simple glazes. If you score the ham and baste alot with the glaze, you will get a good flavor penetration.

Orange Marmalade Ham Glaze

Butter Rum Ham Glaze

Thanks Larry. I went ahead and skipped the sauce on this one. Brought it up somewhere around 160. I stick it one spot it say 150 another it say 160. Managed to hit something once which registered 180. I think that was the hot greasy water. I aint neva seen so much water in my life which come outta there. Whew. It had a good flavor and texture though. Dont think the trip to 160 hurt this one any. Everybody eating it like a hawg eats slop.

bigwheel

Larry Wolfe said:
Bigwheel, if that's a pre-smoked 'Ready cook' (smoked and cured) ham, pull it at no more than 150º. 160º in my opinion will be a bit high and possibly dry finished product. I pull mine at 145º and they climb up to about 150º while resting.

Here's a couple ideas for simple glazes. If you score the ham and baste alot with the glaze, you will get a good flavor penetration.

Orange Marmalade Ham Glaze

Butter Rum Ham Glaze

That Butter rum glaze kicks some serious butt! Then pour the left overs over a can of pineapple chunks. You'll think you died and gone to heaven!

Thanks for all the recipes. Got em saved along with the appropriate web sites which somebody was kind enough to send, Larry I think. Fact is..being the fat lazy no good bum that I am...did not make a sauce for the ham. I'm so ashamed :oops: Now the good news is everybody loved it anyway. No telling whut woulda happened if it had one of them deleecious glaze/sauces on top. Mighta had to call the cops or something :shock:

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Yep there are folks in the world who are just cop magnets :shock:

bigwheel

4.gif

Back
Top Bottom