'02 Silverado

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allie

Sous Chef
We're looking at possibly buying a 2002 Chevy Silverado 4x4 extended cab pick-up. I was wondering if any of you might have this particular model and have more insight into whether this is a wise decision or not.

I've been looking online at reviews but would love to hear from someone I'd trust more!

TIA!

It has 70,000 miles and from what Les's brother said, they're asking $14,000 for it. I've looked at Kelly Blue Book....$8793 trade in and $15,670 suggested retail. Les's brother's 4wd went out on his '07 so they gave him this one as a loaner while it's in the shop. They're driving it up to Allegan today and when they come home on Wednesday, Les is bringing it home so I can take it out for a bit and see what I think.

Here's what it has:
long bed
rhino liner
am/fm cd
step bumper (the chrome kind)
towing package
Z71 system
alloy wheels
cruise, tilt wheel, power windows, doors

Well, I've only bought one used car in my life so I'm not an expert here. The mileage on it isn't out of whack, if Les or someone you know is vehicle mechanically inclined you might want them to take a look at it from a transmission/engine perspective.

If it's in good shape, no prior accidents, sound mechanically, not hard miles on it....I'd say it sounds like a fair price, but in this economy, if he's really trying to unload it, he might have trouble...try offering him 12,500 and see where he goes.

Good luck!!!!!

Les's brother has an '05 (oops I typoed) with the 4 doors and 4 wd. He also has the '07. He's a Chevy man through and through. His have a lot more extras and are more heavy duty than this one. Where they're going in Michigan had snow from knee to waist high so I'm sure they're going to give it a good run in 4wd. They're also pulling his work trailer with all the tools and supplies so will see how it tows.

Of course, we won't put it through much "rough" treatment. No real towing as a usual thing and if it's like the Bronco I had, the 4wd might be used once a year.

Thanks for the advice!

Bruce, we'll definitely be doing some negotiations with the sales guy if we decide we're interested.

Greg Rempe said:
Make sure the 4WD is checked out throughly!!

Without a dought.... All fluids needs to be checked to make sure the seals are holding & no water is present in the axles, tranny or transfer case. also put it in 4H & drive slow turning the front wheels all the way left & right making a figure 8, there should be no clunking banging or clicking.
it will make some whirring humming sounds, thats ok.

Down here they also need to be checked for a straight frame. Have someone follow the truck driving on a straight road, Make sure it aint side walking (the front & rear axles out of parallel with each other)

I have an 02 Silverado and it is an excellent truck! I've had it since it was new. Listen to JB he knows about trucks! I would also suggest having a mechanic check to make sure it is not a flood vehicle by pulling off the door panels and checking for a water line, and checking the wiring harness. A mechanic can even check the truck's computer for code history.

Thanks JB and ChevyGrl adn everyone else!

They didn't take it with them so I'm going to pick it up from his brother's house in a little bit. I'll drive it home and then when the kids get home, take it out on the interstate for a few miles and see how it handles. When they get back Wednesday, I'll have Les do the figure 8 at his brother's house. I don't want to chance hitting their septic tank since I'm not exactly sure where it is and there's no room at my house unless I attempt to drive through ice and around trees. lol

Hmm, have to see if we can find a mechanic to check the other things mentioned.

Price seems high... but Indiana is a different part of the world
02's around here are in the $9K range...
even less with higher mileage
Carfax it....if it was ever a lease or coporate vehicle..STAY AWAY

Allie I'm general manager of a GM and Dodge dealership and that is to high of a price on that truck. Wished I could get that for em. Anytime you buy run a car fax on it. One thing I have no problem with is if a customer wants to talk to the prevouis owner and it's ok with them we let them talk. I want my customers to be happy and feel good about the vechile they buy from our dealership. Check us out @ www.pksmithmotors.com

I have more information on it. The truck was owned by a 70 something year old man. He traded it in for a Lincoln Navigator. All the service records, oil changes, etc. were performed on schedule by this dealership. Les's brother saw the records and the man never skipped a beat on getting it taken care of. Aside from a few rock dings which is to be expected the truck is clean. I drove it home and will be going out again shortly in it. It rides really, really good....very smooth with no strange noises, shudders, or anything. Les's brother drove it up into Michigan twice over the weekend and said it rides better than either of his two Chevy's that are newer but have thousands more miles. He averages over 100,000 easily a year in his because of work. Les is waiting for the sales guy to call him back. This is the guy his brother has dealt with through 3 trucks, his wife's car, and his step-daughter's car so maybe that will help with getting the price down a good bit!

As for the price, in Indiana, that's a decent price for this truck. Cars or trucks in this area don't come cheap and usually by the time they're 6 yrs old, they have 100-150,000 miles on them. I had sticker shock when I moved here from southeast Georgia.

allie said:
Thanks JB and ChevyGrl adn everyone else!

They didn't take it with them so I'm going to pick it up from his brother's house in a little bit. I'll drive it home and then when the kids get home, take it out on the interstate for a few miles and see how it handles. When they get back Wednesday, I'll have Les do the figure 8 at his brother's house. I don't want to chance hitting their septic tank since I'm not exactly sure where it is and there's no room at my house unless I attempt to drive through ice and around trees. lol

Hmm, have to see if we can find a mechanic to check the other things mentioned.

Have les take it to a empty area of a parkin lot & doo the the fig 8's. I like do em under full throttle with the owner aboard too :twisted:

allie said:
It has 70,000 miles and from what Les's brother said, they're asking $14,000 for it. I've looked at Kelly Blue Book....$8793 trade in and $15,670 suggested retail. Les's brother's 4wd went out on his '07 so they gave him this one as a loaner while it's in the shop. They're driving it up to Allegan today and when they come home on Wednesday, Les is bringing it home so I can take it out for a bit and see what I think.

Here's what it has:
long bed
rhino liner
am/fm cd
step bumper (the chrome kind)
towing package
Z71 system
alloy wheels
cruise, tilt wheel, power windows, doors
Allie I'm sorry I missed the 14000.00 part. That price is in line. Sorry about my other post.

That's ok. We offered 12,500 and he said he "thinks" he can get it done. I've been running insurance quotes and stuff hammering out the numbers for our budget. This will be the first time we've ever had car payments so insurance is also going to cost more than the liability on our paid for with cash cars. We're so cautious before doing anything and it took us a long, long time to get to this point. lol

I didn't know his brother took it out over the weekend and really gave it a workout and went through everything. I think we'll do ok buying this.

I never owned a chevy till my 07 Silverado. Absolutely the nicest wheels I've owned since a Riviera. Bought it for the towing specs and was blown away by the comfort, computer controlled stuff and pleasure to drive.

Back
Top Bottom