WSM Handles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
I know some of the folk around here have put handles on there WSM body. Doing a turkey and a pork butt today. Just thought refueling would be more easy with handles on the main body. Any input would be great. The wife was kind enough to loan me her WSM ( Vicky ) that WILL BE PUT AWAY when done.

Thanks

Pigs

Pigs, I saw this on TVWB and it seems like a good idea and sounds like you do not have to drill the cooker either. Another guy made a bracket that dropped down into the handles to hold a table.

Here is what was said on TVWB "Genie garage door replacement lift handles that work perfectly on the WSM. I did have to bend them slightly, but even I could install them in less than 5 minutes. They only cost $2.37 for the pair."

Good luck with it.

Attachments

• geniehandle1.jpg
    geniehandle1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,059
I use a pc of stove pipe that is not snapped together. Load that with unlit and stratigically pour it in thru the door opening.

Once the wsm reaches temps you are going to struggle with seperating the mid section from the bottom section. Food, water pan and heat.

Be careful.

I used the Genie garage door handles. They work fine, no drilling required. The drawbacks are (1) they don't give much clearance between your fingers and the WSM when you pick it up, so if it's hot, you may want to put gloves on; (2) the cover is a bitch to put on and take off once the handles are installed. I slit one of the side seams and added a piece of waterproof material to make the cover a little bigger to take care of the second problem. And I have never had a problem lifting the middle section off the bottom, especially since I stopped using water. Just don't set the middle section down on your wooden deck, unless you like big greasy circles as a decorating theme. :mrgreen:

Hmmm I knew there was prob a good reason I neva owned one of them fine apparatusses. It bound to be the missing handles aspect looking back on the topic in hind sight. Or it could be the hefty price tag which cuz the dissuasion to buy one. They look too much like an ECB with a fancy paint job. Yeah thats the ticket.

bigwheel

Nick Prochilo said:
I don't think for a turkey and a pork butt you will have to load additional fuel! I've gotten 18 hours on a single load with a guru!

Even if you don't need to refuel, the handles are handy when starting the cook. I can have the center section sitting to one side, load it with the meat, set up the thermometer probes, and put the lid on. Then, I just dump the lit charcoal into the charcoal pan and pick up the center section and set it onto the charcoal pan in one easy step. I wouldn't want to try that without the handles. I find this much more convenient than loading the meat, putting in probes, etc. with the fire already going underneath and smoke pouring out the top (and into my eyes).

Larry D. said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":35kjny88]I don't think for a turkey and a pork butt you will have to load additional fuel! I've gotten 18 hours on a single load with a guru!

Even if you don't need to refuel, the handles are handy when starting the cook. I can have the center section sitting to one side, load it with the meat, set up the thermometer probes, and put the lid on. Then, I just dump the lit charcoal into the charcoal pan and pick up the center section and set it onto the charcoal pan in one easy step. I wouldn't want to try that without the handles. I find this much more convenient than loading the meat, putting in probes, etc. with the fire already going underneath and smoke pouring out the top (and into my eyes).[/quote:35kjny88]
Hey Pigs, don't let them discourage you. I love all that smoke and sparks going up my nose. That's the whole mystic of the WSM. Just look at my Avatar - whooeee, that's smoking!

Back
Top Bottom