Used pit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
Anybody got a pit there sick of lookin' at (don't laugh) I'm lookin' for somthin' cheap, I can't afford those shiny big new rigs. I'm just startin' out, and would appreciate any input (output) anybody has. 8-[

I couldn't afford much either so I went with the double barrel smoker. It has been serving me well for many years. The "Volgezang door flue and stacks only cost about 70 from Northern tool. And the drums were free from a petrolium company local. and the rest of the hardware and stuff. Like the expanded metal grill and dryer chiminey stacks came from Home Depot. All total to under $100 including black hi temp paint and saw blades.

Ta dah!

I saw that design before. All of that for under $100, wow! Can you use barrels that had toxic stuff in em'. I've been checkin' restaurants for barrels, no luck, unless i go there after dark :) Let me know about the toxic thing 8-[ Buildin' my own sounds like the way to go. I really like that double barrel style. thanks :grin:

Me and the wife went on the prowl earlier today, lookin' in the back alleys around the "hood". Saw a few but nothin' promising. I'm gonna' check in the yellow pages tommorow for food processing plants. Thanks for the info :grin:

Yeah, I'd stick to the food processing places and shy away from places that deal in hazardous waste. That's nothing you wanna cook on. I have the third arm, and the tentacles to prove it. :grin: :grin: :grin: :)

The wife saw one like that at Wal-mart, not sure of the price. I gotta' birthday comin' up, that would make a hell of a nice present :!:

grigri
Puff said:
The wife saw one like that at Wal-mart, not sure of the price. I gotta' birthday comin' up, that would make a hell of a nice present :!:
Just got back from lowes, checked out the chargriller. SAAAAWEEET :!: Really solid piece of equipment. My wife said i have to wait till my birthday before i can buy it :-( . 3 weeks. Worth the wait, i'm still gonna' build one :grin:

No-no for toxic waste! I used ones that had ATF fluid in them. I cleaned them out really good and burned several logs in it after I was done, to get rid of any risidual junk. I have done a couple like this without problems. Just be VERY careful with what you get. If you are unsure it is probably best to pay about $20 for a new barrel fro somewhere. :!:

Green Hornet said:
No-no for toxic waste! I used ones that had ATF fluid in them. I cleaned them out really good and burned several logs in it after I was done, to get rid of any risidual junk. I have done a couple like this without problems. Just be VERY careful with what you get. If you are unsure it is probably best to pay about $20 for a new barrel fro somewhere. :!:
The cheapest ones i can find new are $80 a piece, i still got a few places to check. thanks

Sell your bike. Been there, Done that! Still aint made enough dough to buy a (or build) anouther one. Sucks to be me. I miss my bike. Sometimes ya just can't have your cake and eat it too! :badgrin: I still cook for all the local ABATE party's and that's fun. :D

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Sell your bike. Been there, Done that! Still aint made enough dough to buy a (or build) anouther one. Sucks to be me. I miss my bike. Sometimes ya just can't have your cake and eat it too! :badgrin: I still cook for all the local ABATE party's and that's fun. :D
That sucks pigs, what did you have? get one of those ABATE boys to let ya' go for a spin. My bike helps keep my sanity. Walter come and pick up his new rig yet? :grin:

Had my Grandfpops 1948 flat head. What a ride that was. As long as you could get it started :) Sure it was a rat, But fun. Walter has some stuff going on so it's still here. Think I'll just fix it up and put it back in service. Got a few huge catering jobs in July.

Wow a 48', I got buddy that restores old flats& knucks, to bad ya' had to let her go.

Back
Top Bottom