UDS Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1, If you have a Big Lots around you they have a very cheap 22 inch round grill that the lid from will work. I had the same problem with mine. since the diameter varies for 55 gallon drums you may have to do minor alteration. 2, I used 3 air holes for mine, each was 1" ID x 3" steel pipe, don't forget the pipe caps, and you will need one ball valve to control the air flow in.

Hope this helps you out.

Yeah..think the weber kettle lids fit right on there sometimes. Easy to find at the curb on yup trash day. Seems like maybe HD sells em too. If you trying to plug up the bung hole ball of tinfoil should work just fine. Plan on replacing it every few years of course. Best of fortunes on the build. Now a person could just mount the top rack a little lower and put a chunk of something non flammable over the top. The lid which come with the barrel works well. I can get a food grade barrel with the lid for 12 bucks at the feed store. Might be best for you to give your barrel to somebody and go buy another. Just trying to cover all the bases here.

Sounds good. Make sure the metal aint galvanized. Surely wont get hot enough to hurt anything but it might make some folks nervous.

Yeah but over time the galvanization can still leech into your food. So best to just not use it at all. Just go with straight up steel, or even copper if your rich!

I am not nervous, you should not cook with it because of the chemicals that are it it. There is a reason that we take all the paint off the interior of the drums we use. If you use galvanized steel, or aluminum, you are putting it right back in to the cook.

Well my drunk bbq welder say galvanized metal have to be hit with a cutting or welding torch to make it hazardous. This news is going to break his heart. Thanks.

Damn I forgot about this thread, I plan on posting up some pictures of what I have accomplished this next coming weekend. I have about 80% of my fire basket done. still have to get a few part for my drum. But other than that I have gotten alot done it even though it is getting cold around here. Past few days it has not gotten over 40 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom