thread on tel-tru thermometers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
brian j said:
and where do you get them? thanks. :)
Try a plumbing supply.
Or call New Braunfels smokers and see if they would sell you one. I know they come with the thermometer they sell. I got two from them in the past.

I actually made one by cutting the nut looking part off of a brass fitting.

brian j said:
i was wondering when this thread was going to go into the gutter.
anyway, i just got back from the hardware store. no 1/2" pipe bolts. they guys said he can't even order them anymore. but they did have 1/2" eletrical bolts which are the same threading as pipe bolts. here's what they look like.

i'm going to try a big box store like home depot. maybe they'll have pipe bolts.
Had to be a moderator that took it there. :)

Those should work. If you don't find one you like better, just use those and don't worry about it.

You can do what pigs said and feel pretty save. Most galvanized experts would tell you that you didn't have to worry about it anyway.

:idea: The two main things you have to worry about with galvanized metal and food is:
1) contact between the metal and acidic food - the likelihood of food touching that nut are slim because of it's size and the fact that the prode extends 2" - 4" past the nut.
2) high temps can cause galvanized metal to 'out gas' a toxic gas. Most galvanized coatings require temps far in excess off any cooking temps you will encounter. More like welding temps.

So, make sure that anything that might touch your food is not galvanized and you should be alright. :!:

I'd like to add one caviot. Don't use what I've said as 'free raine' to go crazy with galvanized metal. I personally wouldn't use a lot of galvanized metal in a cooker, but would feel very safe using the nut on the thermometer. And never use it as a cooking grate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom