Stoker "setback" sounds similar to Guru "ramp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LowRent

Senior Cook
I'm looking through the documentation I got on my Stoker yesterday, and noticed the setback operation.

Has anyone experimented with this?

Re: Stoker "setback" sounds similar to Guru "

LowRent said:
I'm looking through the documentation I got on my Stoker yesterday, and noticed the setback operation.

Has anyone experimented with this?

The manual for my early Stoker doesn't mention this feature, as far as I can tell. Can you tell me what yours says? I might be interested in upgrading my software.

Larry D. said:
The manual for my early Stoker doesn't mention this feature, as far as I can tell. Can you tell me what yours says? I might be interested in upgrading my software.

I have version .5.

In the corresponding, i.e. Ver .5, manual under section 2 "Introduction" on page seven in the subsection "Food Measurement Features" you'll find the following, "The Stoker also features a 'Setback' function to turn down the temperature of your barbecue / smoker when your food is done to prevent it from overcooking."

LowRent said:
I have version .5.

In the corresponding, i.e. Ver .5, manual under section 2 "Introduction" on page seven in the subsection "Food Measurement Features" you'll find the following, "The Stoker also features a 'Setback' function to turn down the temperature of your barbecue / smoker when your food is done to prevent it from overcooking."

Yep, it's right there... I just never noticed it. (RTFM, as they say.) Apparently it just does this on its own, as there seems to be nothing for you to set up. I'll have to watch this next time, instead of taking the meat off immediately when it reaches target temperature, and see if the Stoker backs off on the cooking temp (and how far - i.e., if the food temp alarm is set at 195, will the unit cut the cooking temp back to 195?)

Larry D. said:
Apparently it just does this on its own, as there seems to be nothing for you to set up. I'll have to watch this next time, instead of taking the meat off immediately when it reaches target temperature, and see if the Stoker backs off on the cooking temp (and how far - i.e., if the food temp alarm is set at 195, will the unit cut the cooking temp back to 195?)

That's what I'm guessing, and, I too will need to watch next time as I was in too big a hurry this time. Have you listened to the podcast? That new software sounds great....

Re: The Stoker Does Not have a Set Back Feature

rock said:
There is a mistake in the manual. We intended on putting this feature in only to find out that it had a patent pending form our competitor. We have not revised the manual to reflect that. sorry for the confusion

Oh. I love mine anyway. [smilie=a_movinggreen.gif]

Re: The Stoker Does Not have a Set Back Feature

rock said:
There is a mistake in the manual. We intended on putting this feature in only to find out that it had a patent pending form our competitor. We have not revised the manual to reflect that. sorry for the confusion

OK. Well, that answers that question.

Is the patent so thorough/comprehensive that you can't implement any sort of feature like this... or has it just temporarily stalled the process? I'm sure you can afford a team of patent lawyers to examine the matter for you.

DATsBBQ said:
Or forget the lawyers and buy a license. Forgot, that would be more lawyers. :twisted:

That would be the easy way... and, to me, it's sorta like admitting defeat. A patent usually covers a way to do something. Generally, there are many ways to do something. The smart, and rich, ones usually patent a whole bunch of ways to do something--even the ways they discard--because it slows down the competition. I kinda doubt that's the case here.

Low Rent:
That would be the easy way... and, to me, it's sorta like admitting defeat. A patent usually covers a way to do something. Generally, there are many ways to do something. The smart, and rich, ones usually patent a whole bunch of ways to do something--even the ways they discard--because it slows down the competition. I kinda doubt that's the case here.

In the long run it would be the cheap way [smilie=a_listenuppunks.gif] [smilie=a_happy.gif] [smilie=a_disconcerted.gif] [smilie=a_doh.gif] [smilie=gator.gif]

Re: Setback function

rock said:
Ok the truth is we asked alot of people who have the Guru if they ever used that function and only 2 people said they had used it and both said they only used it once. We thought we would concentrate our efforts in the areas where we have had the most requests form our users. The new version of Software that will be out soon will have some very kewl new features.

I'm not too worked up about not having the setback feature. I don't even know when I'd use it.

I am excited for the feature that detects when he lid has been removed. That is 1000x more useful to me than the setback feature. I can't wait to see what else you've come up with... any hints?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom