stack heater to speed draw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hawk wild bbq co

Senior Cook
I am trying to figure out the best way to heat my stacks to create a draw faster than waiting for them to warm from the firebox. I have a reverse flow and it seems like it takes to long to get my chamber up to temp. I want to possibly install a couple of lp orfices into the base of each stack and be able to hook them up to lp tank. I am far from a heating and cooling expert so if anyone could help me figure out what I need and how to accomplish it I would greatly appreciate it. Here is a picture of the firebox and stacks.

Here is a thought. Why not run a a black iron pipe ( about inch and a half or two inch ) to the bottom of each elbow to the fire box top with a steam valve in the middle of each so you can open it when you start your fire and close it when done preheating. That way no LP to worry about and I can't help to think that your preheat would go faster. As hot air razes threw the the fire box into the stacks to heat them causing the fire to burn a little hotter. I'm sure it would work,you just have to play around with the fire box vents and how far you open the steam valves to the vent. Or you could put a four inch piece of black iron pipe half way up with a four inch valve then T off from that with two inch black iron to the stacks. That's the way I would go. But if it's cheaper to go with the two valve set up, I'd go that way. Just a thought.

Pigs

Dude, you know how hot high pressure steam is? About a thousand times hotter than any thing your fire box can fire threw them. Do a little Google on steam vales, that will put your mind at ease.

Pigs

fixed that problem today...was looking at ads and harbor freight had weed burners for 19.99 so I went and picked one up. Great tool for the fire and warming the stacks.

Back
Top Bottom