Smoker Up Date 8/25/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkin Pork

Senior Cook
Ok everyone, Im back....been real busy doing BBQ catering. But I got three weeks until things pick up again and I just landed a metal storage cabinet that is 36"w x 18"d x 72"h excellent brand new condition.
This is going to be my new smoker and I'm starting on it tomorrow.

Question for you all....what do you think is going to be the best method for genterating my smoke and heat? Heat range= 200 to 300 degrees.

I can fabricate what ever I need to get the job done.

YES THE KID IS BACK [smilie=banana.gif] .... [smilie=bump.gif] move over smokey!cABINET

My wife would have me committed if I ever built something like that [smilie=a_partyguy.gif]
It just so happens, this metal cabinet is great and has smoker written all over it...ahhhh I can see it now. [smilie=bowdown.gif]

Just wondering whatcha all might think about generating my smoke and heat, that's all.

Most likely will vent the bottom and install a flue pipe with damper and then use propane burn [smilie=a_happyhappy.gif] for heat with a steel pot over it for the wood chips. [smilie=a_goodjob.gif]

Here my first pic....aint she pirty [smilie=loveyou.gif]
img_112744_0_f518bbe9a7ed01077a715b9d85f00868.jpg

New Pictures

Ok, here are the new picture of what have have done.

1st ... I fabricated a steel pot to hold the propane burner and cut a hole in one of the cabinet shelves to hold the pot in place as wel as keep most of the heat above the burner shelf.

Next I installed an expanded steel shelf over the burn pot to hold the pan with wood chips and chunks.

NOTE: I'm allowing for plenty of air flow in and around the burner pot from below burner shelf and from above.

What do you pro pit builders think? And how do you think I should vent this puppy?
[/img]
img_116237_0_f518bbe9a7ed01077a715b9d85f00868.jpg
img_116237_1_5852c5bf94a1639d258b8cb70bdca82f.jpg
img_116237_2_451264159119720f11df9b320bcb19dd.jpg
[/img]

I need ventilation ideas, like where to place the vent, top, side, med way and stuff like that. Any think...I just want to make it work as best as possible.

Before you get too much further you may want to take a look at drainage. The cabinet will have to have a way to drain off the rendered fats from the meats you are cooking. Grease fires are no fun at all. :(

After you address that you will need to address the grease dripping on to your fuel source. Again, the grease fire thing. When you are addressing that issue, be sure you are thinking about heat flow to the top of the cooker.

Those issues are the main reasons I elect to build offsets.

The stack placement is immaterial. The size of the stack is proportional to the size of the intake and the amount of convection you wish to support. The taller stack, the faster the air will flow, in proportion to the size of the intake. If I wasn't stubborn I would consult the likes of Finney.

For stacks and such there is some good information on the Prarrie Site.

http://www.phpbbserver.com/phpbb/index. ... =smokinjim

There is a pitbuilders section on that site that has some real good information.

Convection, and the control of it, is what makes a cooker live.

Good Q!

Jack

Hey Northsmoke, can you send me those pics? I cant make them any larger and my old eyes are having a hard time seeing the little ones.

billthegrillguy@msn.com

I'd like to take a closer look at the details before posting anything.

Thanks.

Jack, thanks for the info, I'll look for that section in here that has info pertaining to this discussion.

I have a drawing of my ideas including a grease catch, however, I don't know how or if I can post in here. I tried but with no success, but then again I'm very stupid with uploading and posting stuff.

If anyone can tell me how, I'll be more then happy to post it or email it to ya.

Thanks BK,
This is my 2nd smoker, the first on was make out of a little snapple display refrigerator, the kind you might find in the supermarket were you wait in line to checkout.
It work great, only 24"w x 24"d x 36"h just wasn't big enough for me with the amount of sausage I make.
If ya ever need to know something about making or smoking sausage, "Witt" is the one to talk too. With his help last year, I really fine tuned my sausage & smoking technique.

Thanks I will keep that in mind. I have been warming up to making Andoulli, and smoking it, but all my sausage plans have been put on hold for now. Been mainly reading about different things from curing to smoking sausage. I have made it fresh but have never cured or smoked sausage. I feel like I have been here before.

Anyway, I am sure I will have questions and look forward to learning from people with experience.

Hey has anyone ever said you look like that guy who killed his wife Lacy Peterson ........ Heyyyy, wait aaaa minute! , Maybe they got the wrong guy?:scratch
Just kindin with ya BK.

Northsmoke said:
Hey has anyone ever said you look like that guy who killed his wife Lacy Peirce ........ Heyyyy, wait aaaa minute! , Maybe they got the wrong guy?:scratch
Just kindin with ya BK.

I think his pic in the avatar looks like Tom Arnold! 8)

Did some concrete work with a guy named Tom Arnold once, let's just say it don't quite work out.
Hmmm, wonder how deep that lake is anyway. [smilie=rlp_smilie_312.gif]

Ok, here's an up date.

Jack W. said I should address the problem of catching the grease before I worry about anything else and I thought that was a good idea.

So what I did was installed a two pan shelf in a step pattern which by looking at it will not allow grease to pass the pan, but still allows air flow.
Also, I install a shield that runs along the back of the pans which cover the space running behind them, but still again allows for air flow.

What do you pro's think?
img_116551_0_292c5a0f7066a815f988b2ee39578913.jpg
[/img]

I think you have that covered real nice. Looking good Northsmoke. Let me know when you want to buy some cherry smoke dust for them sausages. ;)

Glad you approved of the smoker, I think I'm on the right track, thanks to everyone in here. Without the education I got from from this site, who knows what I would of ended up with.

But if anyone has any ideas to tweek this bad boy, let me know!

And cherry dust goes good with the sausage [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom