Smoker advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
The last competition I was at, which was also was my first BBQ competition, we were using my brother-in-law's big homemade smoker. I looked over and the team next to us was using 2 WSM's. We finished in 12th place and they finished in 3rd. HHHMMMM...... I would buy another WSM and that should be enough to compete and you can get started a lot cheaper. But it is up to you!

Swing City BBQ said:
I have a WSM and I love it, but I am looking for something that will hold more, well at least enough for competitions. I have done a lot of research, but I want to see what you all think is the best. Built to last, with a minimal amout of getting the smoker road ready on the last day of a competition. Question # two: Does anybody have a preference between a water smoker, conventional smoker, or a rotisery type smoker (ie. Austin National or Southern Yankee?

Thanks to all
Swing City BBQ

Not sure what you are looking for or how much you want to spend. If you want to stick with charcoal, I've heard all good things about Stumps. Or if you want to switch to a stick burner I'd recommend a Gator.

Swing...if you haven't yet...listen to the podcasts with Gator, Stumps and Spicewine. You get a real idea of how each individual is and how they run their respective companies. It's a good reference!

Swing City BBQ said:
I have a WSM and I love it, but I am looking for something that will hold more, well at least enough for competitions. I have done a lot of research, but I want to see what you all think is the best. Built to last, with a minimal amout of getting the smoker road ready on the last day of a competition. Question # two: Does anybody have a preference between a water smoker, conventional smoker, or a rotisery type smoker (ie. Austin National or Southern Yankee?

Thanks to all
Swing City BBQ

Yall might think I am nuts but I am happy with my hand made 55 gallon drum somker with side firebox , would I like to have one of those fancy rigs , heck yea but I will never be able to afford it. It gets temps up to 275 and thats enough for me. I will be getting a friend to make modifications to it by adding a second barrel for more smoking area, one day I may be able to get a small pull behind trailer and enter some competitions myself.

WalterSC said:
Swing City BBQ said:

Thanks to all
Swing City BBQ

Yall might think I am nuts but I am happy with my hand made 55 gallon drum somker with side firebox , would I like to have one of those fancy rigs , heck yea but I will never be able to afford it. It gets temps up to 275 and thats enough for me. I will be getting a friend to make modifications to it by adding a second barrel for more smoking area, one day I may be able to get a small pull behind trailer and enter some competitions myself.

Walter, I don't think you are nuts at all! Shoot that works and it was cheap, nothing wrong with that at all!!

Walter, I don't think you are nuts at all! Shoot that works and it was cheap, nothing wrong with that at all!![/quote]

Thanks Larry , I will continue to drool at those big rigs , as they do look nice . Its just not practical for what I do at home , if I had a big family it would work , but as it stands now all I do at home is backyard stuff and its just me and Niki and it works for us. At almost every competition I have judged it seems the fellas and ladies with the small hand made set ups and smaller grills and smokers have put a whippin on the fellas and ladies with the big rigs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom