smokenator for weber kettle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhulse

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone, I have been looking at the smokenator 1000 for the weber kettle grills and decided that I would make my own. I have some questions and I was hoping that maybe someone could help me out. I got 16 guage stainless steel rather than the thinner 18 guage that they use at the factory. My question is this. With me getting a thicker steel do you think that I should make it bigger to hold more charcoal? 2nd question will the 16 guage work the same as the 18 guage for heat distribution? any help would be greatly appreciated. I made my template to be 2 inches wider than the one from the factory and now I am second guessing that before I cut out the steel and bend it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The only problem that you would have with the thicker steel, is that it will take a little bit longer to come to temperature, but other than that, I for see no problems. Good luck with the build, and post up some pictures of your progress.

Just to let you know, you need to have 5 post, in order to post up pictures.

I got my start with a Smokenator and I don't think there is anything magic about the gauge of the metal, just come close to the original Don Thompson design and it should work fine. Here is a fun Smokenator Setup Video if you haven't seen it. I used mine for about a month before I had to move onto a WSM. Love to see some pictures when you get done. Good luck and welcome to the Forum. Smokenator Setup - YouTube

Thanks guys. I got it done last night. It looks pretty good. Obviously no perfect with it being my first one. I have enough material to make another one the size of the originals that you can buy. I am going to try it out tomorrow. I will repost to let you know hoe it worked as well as put some pictures of it on here. All in all a pretty simple build I hope it works as good as they claim it will.

Smokenator Template

Dhulse,

I'm looking to embark on this project as well. Would you happen to have a cut out template for the stainless steel with dimensions which I could use as a go by?

Much Appreciated

Hi everyone, I have been looking at the smokenator 1000 for the weber kettle grills and decided that I would make my own. I have some questions and I was hoping that maybe someone could help me out. I got 16 guage stainless steel rather than the thinner 18 guage that they use at the factory. My question is this. With me getting a thicker steel do you think that I should make it bigger to hold more charcoal? 2nd question will the 16 guage work the same as the 18 guage for heat distribution? any help would be greatly appreciated. I made my template to be 2 inches wider than the one from the factory and now I am second guessing that before I cut out the steel and bend it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Hi.

I live in England and cannot buy the smokenator here unless I pay $60 shipping costs. I also decided to attempt to make one myself. Any idea where I can got hold of a template?

The Lid would work great for the over all diameter, though you would have to make it slightly smaller. It all depends upon your situation. Do you have a Weber Kettle, if so what size is it. If not, what are you using? You do understand, you do not have to make it totally to specs. It can change a bit and not cause a bit of problem.

Back
Top Bottom