Silver Smoker - Propane Burner addition - Large pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokemaster

Senior Cook
I'd been thinking about adding a propane burner to my smoker. Looked at the Afterburner, but the shipping was too much to Germany. Decided to use a turkey fryer burner instead. I used a pie pan as a base. The grill grate is great to hold my wood chip box.

2 racks of baby backs and 2 boston butts.

The burner worked fine. Used 1/4 of a tank of propane. Temp control was great. Steady 230F. Need a better wood chip box, maybe a cast iron model.

Meat came out great. Cooked the butt to an internal of 200F, let rest 1 hour and pulled.

Nothing like a fresh Brötchen (German for roll) for a pulled pork sandwich. Topped with a little of the Southern Succor rub and Carolina Red sauce.

Howdy smokemaster,
Great lookin pork sandwich, & ribs in your other post.
My OK Joes has a cheap wire grate for the firebox area too.
I cut a peice of heavy expanded metal to support the wood pan, The reason was I noticed the grate was getting red hot just above the burner which will quickly ruin the factory wire grate during long cooking sessions. Expanded metal is cheap & you can buy a large peice to make spare wood or charcoal grates. My OK Joes didn't come with a basket like yours it has a grate made from heavy wire that rest about 2 inches above the firebox floor & runs the length of the firebox. So if you ever burn out your basket you could just use some spare expanded metal cut to lay in the bottom of the box.
Your from Germany, cool I am German too. I love all kinds of food & German is a favorite of mine. I have a few German recipes that I make often. Some of my favorites are Jaegerschnitzel, sauerbraten, spaetzle, German potatoe salid, gefullt krautroladen, grune bohnen mit dill, grilled bratwurst,... Please post some of your favorite recipes!!!

smokemaster said:
Topped with a little of the Southern Succor rub and Carolina Red sauce.
Mmm. My favorite rub for butts, but I've never tried it as a condiment! :shock:

--John 8)
(It'd be pretty lively together with Scott's, my favorite sauce -- I'll try it. :D )

Back
Top Bottom