Questions about the Guru

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

1) Depends on the package you select. Anywhere from $200 to $273 according to this page but if you add additional blowers, it will be more.

2) Not very but you can place the controller in a zip lock bag to protect it ~ Same with remote thermometers.

3) 175° to 400°F but you can cheat to get lower temps for cold smoking.

Here is a link to their manual and their website is here.

Does anyone know if the BBQ Guru is legal to use in KCBS competitions.
It would seem to me that it would be but I just want to double check.

Do you have to have one of the probes inserted into the meat for this to work? I am purchasing a mobile smoker that uses a rotisserie system which would obviously prevent a probe being inserted into the meat.

Kloset BBQR said:
Does anyone know if the BBQ Guru is legal to use in KCBS competitions.
It would seem to me that it would be but I just want to double check.
Yes, they're legal.

Kloset BBQR said:
Do you have to have one of the probes inserted into the meat for this to work? I am purchasing a mobile smoker that uses a rotisserie system which would obviously prevent a probe being inserted into the meat.
No. Many people use the Pit Minder E-Temp or the Pit Boss 25 for their pits and they only control the pit's temperature. The Competitor can be used that way too ~ Just leave the meat probe out and don't set the meat set point on the controller.

Kloset BBQR said:

KlosetBBQ'r i done the math,seems you'll need 863 feet of probe wire to cook ribs,1956 feet for brisket,still working on pork shoulder :grin:

BBQmmm said:
Kloset BBQR said:

KlosetBBQ'r i done the math,seems you'll need 863 feet of probe wire to cook ribs,1956 feet for brisket,still working on pork shoulder :grin:

LOL, John! :D

Why you keep calling me an outhouse? Now you can figure out the shoulder on your own! :grin:

How long does it take these guys to process an order?

I ordered from these guys on Monday and the status is still listed as pending. Hey Guys, time to turn up the temp on the order processing!

Not sure how they do things now, but, they use to wait for an order, then assemble the unit and it was out the door in 3 to 5 days. As I recall, most received their units within a week.

Kloset BBQR said:
I just assumed these things were sitting in boxes ready to ship. A week will work though.
That's the way I would have done it and maybe it's done that way now ~ I don't know. BBQ Bob was on this board earlier today so he's prolly in the office. Call him maybe? Oh, and welcome to the club! :(

The Joker said:
[quote="Kloset BBQR":jcwvle8t]I just assumed these things were sitting in boxes ready to ship. A week will work though.
That's the way I would have done it and maybe it's done that way now ~ I don't know. BBQ Bob was on this board earlier today so he's prolly in the office. Call him maybe? Oh, and welcome to the club! :([/quote:jcwvle8t]
Sounds like a clique. 8-[

Somebody must have been reading this board. I just got an email saying the order is being prepared for shipment and then another one saying that the order has shipped.

I picked up one of those everstart battery jump starters yesterday at Wal Mart and ordered a couple of Brinkman waterpans for the WSM.

Looks like I might need that Guru. The extended weather forecast for Nelsonville next week is rain, wind, and temps in the 40's.

Cool! Water Pan or Charcoal Pan (Brinkmann)? With the Guru, the larger water pan really isn't needed since there's no water or sand in the pan ~ Just crumpled up or loosely balled foil. Get with me when it gets there and I'll try to get you through some temperature issues. :(

Will do. I got the brinkman water pan. Didn't realize that it didn't take water with the Guru Seems like the water would help control the temps.
Doesn't the Guru unit sit outside the WSM? I'd like to use the water pan with water to keep some moisture in the air.

Kloset BBQR said:
Will do. I got the brinkman water pan. Didn't realize that it didn't take water with the Guru Seems like the water would help control the temps.
Doesn't the Guru unit sit outside the WSM? I'd like to use the water pan with water to keep some moisture in the air.
Actually, the Guru does just fine without the extra heat sink in there although several others use water or sand in theirs..I think Nick is one of them, not sure. There seems to be ample moisture in there from the fat rendering ~ I use the Silver Jacket during the winter months and the inside of it is drenched with fat dripping from the bottom. BTW, I think the Brinkmann Charcoal pan was the one to use for extra water capacity in the WSM.

Kloset BBQR said:
Somebody must have been reading this board. I just got an email saying the order is being prepared for shipment and then another one saying that the order has shipped.

I picked up one of those everstart battery jump starters yesterday at Wal Mart and ordered a couple of Brinkman waterpans for the WSM.

Looks like I might need that Guru. The extended weather forecast for Nelsonville next week is rain, wind, and temps in the 40's.

The barbecue world revolves around this board.

I stopped using water in my pan. Towards the end of cooks I noticed it was hard to keep the WSM up to temp. I started using the foil crumbled like lasagna noodles and haven't looked back since! Listen to Bill...he knows. ( yes Chris too)

Back
Top Bottom