Propane smokers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

backyardbbq

Senior Cook
I am thinking of modding a vertical charcoal smoker into a propane smoker and I am wondering what sort of burn time I could get from the average grill propane tank. My plan is to get a hold of a propane burner from a turkey fryer and put it under an old cast iron skillet to put my wood chips or chunks on. I may put a water bowl or come up with some other means of making a heat shield.

hey Backyard. I did the same thing on my offset smoker and it got too hot in the firebox and the thing twisted and warped until cooling off. I did do some cold smoking with a electric burner and a small pot of wood.. That worked out great... :D Good luck and be careful

Well I have tried all that stuff every whichaway. Go to Academy Sports and get an Electric Brinkmann Gourmet. That will solve all the problemos and mystery associated with this type of radical thinking. Propane is a giant pain in the coola also expunsive and dangerous to cook with. I would like a nickle for each time my eye brows has been singed off by that stuff. Got my mustache one time. Now if you want to use it to light some charcoal or wood thats fine. Just turn it off after you get done. Now if you a big dawg in the bbq bizness I will not bad mouf Southern Prides or Ole Hickorys. Fine pits for large volume applications. There is exceptions to every rule. Just not to the one which you referr.

bigwheel

This idea is on a vertical smoker I'm building from an old 50 lb propane cylinder. I should say that a buddy of mine is building it for me. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the progress of it, but once its delivered I'll post them up.

Be sure to post pics while it is being developed.... We love stuff like that!!! ;)

Well I aint sure how big is a 50 pounder less it be the one about 5 feet tall. I aint sure of the diameter of one of them things but dont seem like it would give you much space from side to side. You could prob heat that up just fine with a water pan right above the propane burner and chunk holder. Just be sure to give it plenty of air at the intake. Plan on cooking with the door open etc. You get that gas smothered down without enough air it aint no fun to open the door.

bigwheel

Yah... I'll diddo that if you get a blow out and bomb thing, got to man the flame.
I made one once worked great though, as far as burn time, it really depends on how much cooking space you need to maintain temps and how well insulated it is.
Mine was an ole refrigerator that held the temp very well and that flame ran mighty low, blow out came easy. So I had to build wind guards.
Hell I could of gone a week with that low flame I guess?

Well I got a januine Big Jim Lazy Q burner imported from Florididdy. In my upright with not but rudientary blockage for heat seeping sideways into the horizontal and the upright measuring about 5' tall 3' deep and 2" wide made of 3/8" mild plate in sorta chilly weather one lasts me 9 hrs. or so. First time I used it was the last I think. I can buy wood cheaper than that. Prob get it free if I wasnt a fat lazy boy who sweats a lot. :oops:
Now if I insulate it and give a good blockade to the horizontal (which I been meaning to do for several years) sure it would last much longer. Now I have been blessed with a small cleanout door on the bottom of the upright..in fact tole the dumb drunk welder to put it there myself. Makes a great place to leave it ajar and give that nasty old propane flame plenty of O2. Hey that cold smoking with a hot plate is a great idear. Thanks for thinking of it. Thought I was the only one who knew that trick:)

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom