Need help with ideas on smoker trailer problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigsal51

Cook
I had a problem this weekend with my trailer. It would scrape the firebox when i came down a steep incline like at a carwash entrance It was a steep angle and dragged my firebox a little. how can i lift the trailer a couple of inches.

img_214089_0_4cc129681e5eafff5eb2d2d4c2304ea5.jpg

img_214089_1_61722a2ea63ba03bd5e6df2cbe12b8b3.jpg

img_214089_2_e434d0d6e1c98bd18d49f65f48a107f3.jpg

img_214089_3_cd9d4bd98baaa875e109ca76f58de0f0.jpg

Put your axle under you springs and your shackle plate on the top...
It is commonly done and called a "spring over"

If you are looking for even more height, you could flip your axle completely over also.
The spring over will get you approximately 4 inches in height gain
The spring over and axle flip both will give you about 8 inches
(Assuming that is a 4 inch axle in pictures)

Well my pit used to do that when I pulled it with my pickup because when it was hitched up it put the tongue up too high which made it drag at the back and made the tires rub when you hit a bump. The cure for mine was some plate steel spacers about 5 inches long which the drunk welder mounted in an upright position between the frame and where the leaf springs attach to the frame. They are about the same width at the mounting base for the springs. Neva had any mo problemos with it.

bigwheel

bigsal51 said:
Will the pin that centralizes be on top also like on the cars and trucks.

That pin should hammer up from the bottom to a point where it sticks out the top
of the spring pack.

Your shackles are already pretty long as is.. I personally would not go the route of
longer shackles then what you already have. I tried that once on a trailer.... While
turning a corner with some weight on trailer the extended length shackles folded
under side-ways...... it was a first class ugly mess and lesson learned.

The only other option I see that you have is to leave everything exactly the way
it is and cut/grind the spring perch mounting plates loose from the frame itself and
weld desired height spacer to frame and then re-weld spring mounts to new spacer.

If it were mine, I'd be doing the spring over.

I would "flip" axle or spring over too.. We used to do that to jeeps all the time. If the pin isnt on the top, you should be able to roll the axle.

Back
Top Bottom