Mini UDS build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LoweJ82

Assistant Cook
I picked up some up some oil barrels and one was a 16g barrel, Soon after I found a weber lid to fit.

So I drilled 3, 3/4" holes 2 1/4" from the bottom and lit a nice little fire.

Not really happy with the results of the burn off....

So I used a steel wire deal on a drill and really cleaned it up.

After cleaning all up I painted the drum and rubbed the inside down with veggie oil.

Couple goodies.

After paint

Cheap grill I picked up for the grates and latches.

I still have to build my firebox, get valves for air inlets for now ill use fridge magnets. Also plan on giving the lid a new coat of paint. I got the lid latches on however they need a little adjusting.
I'm thinking I may add either a water pan or heat deflector since the cooking grate is so close to the fire.

me to....

I was planning on doing that today but I'm running behind. Asked the women to pick me up a whole yard bird tomorrow while I'm working so I can give it a run after work.

My firebox will consist of a old grill grate for the bottom and expanded metal for the sides held together with some bailing wire.

14" huh. would be nice for tailgating or something like that. Great job so far. Can't wait to see you 55 gal versions.

14" huh. would be nice for tailgating or something like that. Great job so far. Can't wait to see you 55 gal versions.

Yea I don't see cooking to much on it, more less was to pass time while I found a 23"-23.5" lid to fit the 55g. I plan on trying some yard bird on it first.

I think a creative person could cook all kinds of good food on there, a small pork butt, loin, a decent meal of sausages, some fish, a mini meatloaf, a chicken for sure, that looks like a really kicka$s cooker! and a nicely done build.

Thanks guys

I debated water pan, thinking heat deflector instead. having a first burn season as we speak with a mix of hickory/apple/charcoal and plan on doing a whole chicken that im about to rub down,

I will be adding a 2nd rack as well

Its been over for hours since I lit the charcoal to start here's what's left

here is what I did for a firebox its about 12"x7" sq 12" tall 2" off the ground, I also made a cylinder about 4" in diameter and 12" tall to keep a void after loading basket with charcoal.
Need to make a 9x9 as this one is to tight.

Filled the center cylinder with the hot lit coals and pulled the metal cylinder out after.

Looks pretty good. It looks like you would be able to do about what 4 yard birds on there? If that is the case I would just use that cooker exclusive for chicken. Looks like it works really well! Are you having trouble controlling the temperature at all? Think it would stay around the 300 to 350 range.

thanks, temp stayed pretty stable at 275-300 for the most part, didn't take much to control temp.

I don't think I have ever seen a mini like this before, very cool!!! When I see mini UDS posted I always see a smoky Joe grill with a 32 qt tamale pot in the middle. How common is a 16 gallon drum and what is usually in it?

Normally grease, or gear lube. That's pretty much what I have seen in them in my 15 years of being a mechanic

Back
Top Bottom