Labor of Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I have been working on the modifications for my Chargriller since around 8:00am. These mods were borrowed from Ompappy. I added the baffle first and then the firebox. The extension was added before I even had a firebox and it helped a great deal. The only problem I am having now is getting the temp up over 240 deg. These are great modification that help control the heat. The only thing I could do different is get a Gator.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.j ... 42209&Ux=1

Cliff, I that's one of those sites where you have to email the pic or folder to yourself and then post what you get in your email, or something like that. Several here use Kodak so someone will be along to help you out.. :(

The angle iron is to help seal the air gap between the main body and the lid . In general the made in China Chargriller is not a very high end unit as you have found out. these mods just help to even out the temp. The bricks help to evenly space the heat. What I noticed is that the temp would read 230-240 but the meat would look like it was cooking at 250-275. It is going to take a little getting used to.

Do you have a couple of digital therms?
I put another therm towards the bottom of the grate.
The digital is right on! Make a longer baffle, it will help :!:

How long of a baffle do you think it needs? It is about 6" right now. I am going to put on another one because I am concerned about the metal giving off fumes.

Cliff looks good. You might want to bend the baffel down some. My pit has a baffel and it's at about a 33* angle. Just my .02 I'll take a pic of it if you want. As far as the fumes, you might have bought Galvanized metal? If that is the case then the fumes are from the Zinc dip burning off. Zinc melts at a relatively low temp ~400* you can either burn the zinc off or try to find some stainless steel or Aluminum. As far as the temp Puff is right you should think about investing in a digital temp……I clip an Alligator clip to the grate and then run my probe thru the hole in the clip, it beats doing the potato thing. With enough practice you’ll learn where the hot spots are in your pit and be able to use them to your advantage. The mods look great and keep Smoking.

The baffle has really got me baffled. I am going to take another look at the metal today ( I work at Lowes) If it was zinc coated it fooled me. I may even call the company. I could not tell if the smell was coming from the baffle or the aluminum angle or both. Either way I think I should use something else for both applications. The oil and paint burning off the fire box gave a similar odor for a while but I could smell something all the way to the end of the cook.

Your on the right track with your mods Cliff. I'm going to be cooking on
my CG next week and I try to get some clearer pics on how I lay out my
bricks.
The stock temp gauge can't be counted on for accuracy so you will need
something else.

The stock thermometer is pitifull oompappy. I stuck a fish fry thermometer in one of the many readily available holes at the grate level and that is the one I depended on.

Cliff H. said:
The baffle has really got me baffled. I am going to take another look at the metal today ( I work at Lowes) If it was zinc coated it fooled me. I may even call the company. I could not tell if the smell was coming from the baffle or the aluminum angle or both. Either way I think I should use something else for both applications. The oil and paint burning off the fire box gave a similar odor for a while but I could smell something all the way to the end of the cook.
Use a cookie sheet, a big one, just cut it to the size you prefer :!:

Back
Top Bottom