Kettle Mod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbquzz

Master Chef
In a recent post Pigs had some fire bricks dividing his kettle for the direct and indirect sides. I'm not sure I had ever seen it done that way so I PMed him and he gave me the set up and reasons, all made sense so I set it up and gave it a try. Only problem I had is getting the temperature down, I was running close to 500°. In the future I will use less lump and may modify the bottom vents. I think I'm going to like this once I get the temperature down. I only did a chicken breast and hobo pack so no food posting here but wanted to share my experience with the setup . Thanks for the information Chris, I appreciate it.

I'm going to it it a whirl too. What did he tell you about this method? Where you talking about the deer roast post?

Pappy said:
I'm going to it it a whirl too. What did he tell you about this method? Where you talking about the deer roast post?

Yes it was the Deer Venison post and here is what he told me.
Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
"The reason I use the fire brick is that it gets hot as hell from the lump and transfers many BTU's to the other side. Plus it cuts down on lump consumption. I put the lump over one vent, the other two closed on the indirect side. That way you can control the fire with one vent. I also put the lid with the vent wide open on the opposite side as the fire, that way the hot air and smoke has to go across what ever your cooking. Hope this helps. BTW if your going to try this, get a few real fire bricks. The red bricks they use in houses won't work, Go to a place that sells and installs custom fire places.

Just like anything, learn as you go. Damn, thought I gave you enough info. Just a little too much fuel I guess. Those bricks will get hot as hell. Cut back on the charcoal.

Cranked down the vent to begin with tonight and brought them up slowly and it was fine got it running at 350° and held it. Shut all the vents when I was done and 45 minutes later it is still at 300° those bricks hold the heat. I really like this set up.

Back
Top Bottom