idea for a pit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monty3777

Senior Cook
I was talking to my brother who works in Heating and Air Conditioning about some ideas for a pit. He tells me that it isn't difficult to connect an auger to a thermostat and that with an old chest freezer (perhaps turned on its side) we could build an FEC type smoker that would accomodate a whole hog.

Have any of you tried something like this?
If not, thoughts?

Looks like I'm the kind of knob that responds to my own posts. Oh well.

So I have thought about this and I am considering an old chest freezer turned on it's side mounted on some sort of trailer. I am thinking of welding together a simple fire box - 1/4" steel. Then adding a BBQ Guru. That way I can still use wood. Still need to call the company to pick their brains. My biggest concern is not building something that will have to be tended every 15 min.

Strange this one comes up.

One of our freezers bit the big one a few days ago, just discovered it earlier tonight so off I went to buy a new one.

I was just wondering if my dead freezer could be made into a smoker myself and what I need to do to do this?

It may depend on how old it is. My understanding is that some of the newer models may not be able to handle the heat because of plastic and some other insulating materials. However, I don't know for sure. I'll spend some more time looking next week and report back!

monty3777 said:
Looks like I'm the kind of knob that responds to my own posts. Oh well.

So I have thought about this and I am considering an old chest freezer turned on it's side mounted on some sort of trailer. I am thinking of welding together a simple fire box - 1/4" steel. Then adding a BBQ Guru. That way I can still use wood. Still need to call the company to pick their brains. My biggest concern is not building something that will have to be tended every 15 min.
:LOL: Sorry man but that was a good one! ;)
I checked in to building a smoker out of an old fridge a while back.
It seems the models made in the 50's would be the best kind to use due to the lack of(as you mentioned) plastic and other sorts of bad stuff.
Good luck on your project. 8)

Back
Top Bottom