Help with pit - NOOB, Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
Mike, welcome and please read this carefully.

Many many people have made great smokers out of used buel drums. I've been reading these bbq forums for about 5 years now, and I've just heard too many stories about people trying to cut open those drums that weren't properly bled of fuel, and the result has been death and some horrible disfiguration. One guy got blown threw the roof of his welding shop, with half his face missing.

Please, first thing, make sure an expert bleeds the tank before he takes a torch to it.

That said, I think you'll be fine with a good design. One real good idea is to look at pits at www.gatorpit.net and www.bbqpits.com for great ideas to steal!

(sorry Rich, I'd only reccomend that he steal from the best!)

Buch, it's obviously been done, but I don't knowanything about the technique for cleaning it. I guess a few good burns would get rid of any lingering fumes, etc.

We just do want you to blow up, so be careful! :D

Why not just go to a plumbing supply and buy a new one. They usually go for 200-250. Thats a small price to pay for safety and peace of mind. I have been thinking of the same type of pit, seen one being used by a roadside bbq guy. He had two of them but they were laying down and had a sidebox

Well, I'll go this time...

buchinmj,
For over a hundred years people in NC have been making excellent BBQ cooking OVER hardwood coals with no baffle inbetween the coals and the meat.
Some would say this is the only way to cook TRADITIONAL BARBECUE. #-o you guys knew I had to go there 8-[
There are probably thousands of those oil drum cookers in the Carolinas.

Buch, I have cut old oil drums and burned out many. Flush with water, 2 or 3 times then cut as required. Burn a few REALLY HOT fires in them and they are clean to go. I haven't made smokers out of them but i made plenty of grills out of them!

Back
Top Bottom