help need input on building a new pit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finney

Master Chef
Savannah, GA and Somewhere near Lexington, NC
waterdog said:
ok guys,

Give me all the pros and cons and how to's. Im planning on building a new pit. 20in OD by 3ft with a fire box. My first question, should i go with a square firebox or cylinder? My 2nd question, i would like to build this out of quarter inch pipe but locally i can only find 5/16. Let me here all your opinions, thanks.

1) I like the looks of a sq fire box. And it gives you a little more area.
but... round is cheaper and less labor.

2) Why you sweating the extra 1/16"? If that is what you can get, get it. It will be a little heavier, but should also retain heat a little better.

waterdog said:
Let me here all your opinions, thanks.
That's a dangerous invitation around here, waterdog. :LOL: :LOL:

--John 8
(If some of the regulars take "all your opinions" literally, this'll be a thread for the record books. :P )

Square offset firebox also gives you a good cooking surface for a pot of corn, lobsters or steamers etc... or even a good warming surface with some elevated racks on it.

Good luck. I like the round cooking area and the flat firebox. Next one I build will have a square firebox. Post them pics.

The only good reason I know why anybody would build any part of a bbq pit round is because it tends to be cheaper. As far as the thickness of the steel the thicker the mo betta in my book. Up to a point of course:) Ideal offset would have 1/2" firebox and 3/8" everywhere else..or as close to that figger as a person might come based on available materials..budget etc. As you might guess...my pit is square all over so I could be prejudiced.

bigwheel

waterdog said:
ok guys,

Give me all the pros and cons and how to's. Im planning on building a new pit. 20in OD by 3ft with a fire box. My first question, should i go with a square firebox or cylinder? My 2nd question, i would like to build this out of quarter inch pipe but locally i can only find 5/16. Let me here all your opinions, thanks.

Ill ditto what bw said..I like a square cooking box..goona build a new one real soon. I think it'll be square, double wall and insalated...but...round is a lot easier...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom