Grill Modification question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
Yesterday I was taking a closer look at my smoker in order to add the baffle between the firebox and the cooking chamber, among other things. The food chamber has hooks on each end and the height of the coals are adjusted by raising and lowering a tray that hangs from these hooks. Does this make sense? This tray at its lowest point is lower than the hole that leads to the side smoker box.

Would it be recommended to fix this tray into a permanent position in order to attach a baffle? By doing this I will not be able to raise or lower the coals from the grill grate.

If it is recommended what is a good distance from the grates to have the grate that the coals sit on?

I should take pictures and if I get a chance I will.

You will have to perminately remove that part of your chargriller to install a baffle.

On second thought, I left the pan in to catch all the junk but removed the adjustable hanger brackets.

Let me ask, It seems that the modifications to your smoker, which is just like mine only unmodified, is used for smoking only. Nice photo bty. Do you have a grill for burgers and dogs or can you still grill with your Chargriller?

I hope I do not get kicked back to NOOB status for asking ;-)

As long as you keep the charcoal tray in the bottom you can still grill with it....but you might want to start looking at a Weber One Touch Gold for your grilling needs... :D :D
It's a nasty cycle...next thing you know you'll be buying a WSM and then saying that you need a bigger pit :D

Thanks for the input. I already have the fever and my wife is working on a cure (refinishing a hard wood floor).

What I am thinking is running angle iron the length if the food chamber about 12 inches below the grate and placing some material like the other guys are using for the side fire box fire box. The name escapes me. This will alllow me to place a baffle. Cliff has posted images of exactly what I was thinking for the smoke stack.

I may need laser guidance and some sort of atomic timer by the time I am done LOL!

Back
Top Bottom