grates / grills

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not looking to "buy"... I'm looking to see if it would be profitable for myself to start manufacturing them for sale..."custom larger sizes"

I guess I should have mentioned I'm looking to comparison shop so to speak... and feel out if there is much of a market demand.

I forsee some spare time coming my way this summer and looking for something profitable to do with all my steel equip.... plasma cutter...stick welder...mig welder... (hopefully soon setting myself up for high tensile aluminum welding too).

Was just guessing there must be loads of cookers and smokers needing replacement grills and people manufacturing custom cookers looking for grates/grills.

I think most people with big cooking grates just buy expanded metal when it's time to replace them. For the area that needs covering, it's the cheapest way to go. You will find a few people that are willing to pay a premium for a grate. Also the shipping to get it to them would be cost prohibited.

If you do decide to do it, make sure you make yourself some very flexible jigs and fixtures so that your setup time for manufacture is as short as possible. Time is money and I would think that profit margins would have to be tight.

I have a friend that works at a "stair & rail & ornamental" manufacturing place and after visiting it the other day and seeing what they throw in their dumpster and call "scrap" and the grade stainless they use....got my wheels spinning.

Then when the guy came out with a forklift to throw more scrap in said " hey bud if ya can't find what you want in there, a case of beer will make it appear"........REALLY got my wheels turning!

I loaded my truck with everything from 1/8" to 1" round stock and flat bar from 1/4" to 2" wide..... I ain't proud...I'll climb through the steel dumpster all day for a score like that!

wboggs said:
I've got an idea; drink heavily, weld some of those scraps together and call it art. You might just be very surprised...... :shock:

I already make dogs out of old car mufflers and coil springs and stuff.... big seller is mailbox posts out of engine blocks and rear axles... people can't wait for winter in the hopes the town plow to hit it like every year in the past and now tear their plows up! (they tend NOT to move easily once cemented in)

This summer I'm going to make a bunch of pigs from small propane tanks.

Back
Top Bottom