cutting a tank ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nick Prochilo said:
The safest way to cut it is to let someone else do it!
Your not kidding Nick, My bud Big Jim cuts them all the time, But he knows what he's doing! Some things are better off left to the pros. I'm sure it's done every day but not by this cat! :D

brex HUT said:
if all goes well the family pit might be parked in cliff's back yard

Ok,
Prop a lit torch up next to the tank. You should have about a 15 sec window to run like hell. :LOL:

When the smoke and flames clear, call me and I will come pick up the family pit. :LOL:

My understanding is the propane impregnates the steel...I have a buddy who launched one when he was cutting it. If I was to cut one, I think Id fill it with water and use a sawzall...not recomending this, just an idea...There are a ton of horror storys out there about people cutting tanks..

I think I heard somewhere that you fill it with water and something else...(bleach maybe) to get the impregnated propane from the steel.

Then cut it with a sawzall.

There was an extensive posting about this not too long ago....and this is what Bill the Grill Guy said:

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:00 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boy, this is a tough one. I got deleted that last time I answered a post like this on another forum. Thank God there is this site.

First of all I want to say that my wife works for a propane company and her boss is the leading expert in the region. He told me how to do this.

Fill tank with water and lots of bleach. let it sit for several weeks with all the holes open. Empty the tank and cut with a Zip Wheel on a hand grinder.

I have done a lot of these without a single problem. Now, thats not to say that someone else may have one. I am not responsable for anyone but my self.

Cliff H. said:
[quote="brex HUT":1dg2txtz]if all goes well the family pit might be parked in cliff's back yard

Ok,
Prop a lit torch up next to the tank. You should have about a 15 sec window to run like hell. :LOL:

When the smoke and flames clear, call me and I will come pick up the family pit. :LOL:[/quote:1dg2txtz]
My God Cliff! You sound just like ........him :shock: ;)

"Lions and Tigers and Propane Tanks Oh My". Every thing deserves respect of different degrees. As a welder and fabricator I have cut and welded on many tanks/vessels that hold flammable liquids or gas. I have a huge respect for propane and its hydrogen based group of friends. No horror stories here. we use a hydrogen "sniffer" for all limited acess or tank work that will sense it's presence.
I agree with and practice the water/soap/bleach (weapon of choice- Clorox Cleanup) filled vessel cleaning process followed by the sniffer and the cutting process of choice. Bill the Grill Guy's source is an accurate procedure for treating a propane tank prior to cutting.

Back
Top Bottom