Convert Firebox or forced draft?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BayouBBQ

Cook
I have a "homemade" cooker made out of an old gas tank about 8' long. At the end is an offset firebox made from the end of a smaller diameter gas tank that is welded on the end. The problem I am having is that the firebox sits too high so that the heat rises to the top of the cooking chamber and does not get enough heat on the lower food racks.
I think I have two options:
1. Build another firebox to sit lower, so heat will distribute through the cooking chamber.
2. I have thought about somehow attaching some sort of fan at the end of the cooking chamber near the firehouse to draw the heat and blow it through. I've considered either a convection oven fan or a fireplace blower. I would think the motor would have to be outside because it would not be able to handle the heat. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks

Russ, do you have any pics of it? Thay may help. I used a V plate in the bottom of mine to force the heat and smoke to the other side. Then it turn upward and out the same side as the fire box. A reverse flow.

I second the lowering the fire box. My money says you'll dick around with a fan for a week or so, then lower the box anyway...

Have a look at this old pit that has been in the family for many years.

At first the fire box was on the same level as the cooking chamber. The only way into the firebox was from the top. At some point my dad and/or brother decided enough was enough and had the firebox lowered, a baffle installed and the door moved to the side. Much Mo Betta.

I think the firebox could have been lowered another 3 inches.

I also like the idea of a flat surface on the top of the fire box.

Thanks for the advice on the cooker. I have not yet figured out the photos yet, but when I do, I will post a pic of the cooker. Maybe I will do a before and after when the new firebox is constructed.
Thanks
Russ

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom