Considering a spicewine/Jacks Old South smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1237

Sous Chef
Right now I am toying with the idea of selling the gator and getting something that can get longer burn times than the stick burner. I want something that does no require me to baby sit it the whole cook. The smokers I am thinking about now are the Spicewine large and the Jacks Old South Shoulder cooker. Right now space is not an issue with the gator so I am not looker for something too much bigger.
Those of you who own spicewine/jos what do you think of them? What kinds of burn times are you getting with them and with what type of fuel. In the JOS could I burn straight wood if I wanted to? What are your opinions on customer service from both companies? About how much does it cost you to run the smoker for a brisket or butt cook? What type of trailer is it on and what are you pulling it with? Did you get what you paid for? What would you do differently it you had to do it again?
Within the next few weeks I plan to start to clean up the the gator, touch up the paint, oil the outside of the smoker and put it up for sale. I also plan to contact the manufactures of both smokers and have them clear up a few questions i have. Depending on what I am able to sell the gator for will highly influence my decision on weather I keep the gator or look for something different. If anybody has other insulated/longburn smokers they would recomend I would love to hear them.

Thanks,
Chris

I have a trailored spicewine Chris. PM me if you want to discuss the smoker. Big Z (Neil) also has a spicewine, he may be of some useful info.

Thanks for the help guys.
After doing some more research I decided to keep the gator. Right now I do not have enough money to get all of the options I really would want on my new smoker. Instead of settling for something I did not truly want I decided to wait and save some more money. Maybe in the late winter/early spring Ill sell the gator and get something else. But in the mean time I plan to get a charcoal basket made which should get me longer burn time I am looking for. Still not as good as a spicewine but hopefully better than what I am doing now.

Thanks again
Chris

Back
Top Bottom