Building my first smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
Yep, looks like your on the right track. As a fellow pit builder thats how I do it. Start with a sketch and some junk and go for it. Make sure your reverse flow plate is "V" in the botom and runs twords a grease pipe. I like the idea of 2 doors. You can open one and not worry about loosing so much heat.

Looks like a great project! I'm in the middle of doing the same thing. Ive got one of those oil tanks too.. that'll be my second Pit build..

Chuck_050382 said:
any tips on building the reverse flow plate? I know I need a grease gutter.

Chuck, when I built mine I had a flat piece of steal that was shaped like the inside of the tank. then I welded a piece of anle iron on the under side then flipped it over and cut out the space between the welds and ground it down. then just tappered it down to the end of the pit. I welded a 2x2 pipe under the "V" in the angle and dropped it down the bottom of the pit for the grease. Hope this helps.

Chuck_050382 said:
[quote="Smokey_Joe":271af29b]That's why God gave me a plasma cutter!!!!!

I have asked him for one, but still haven't received it.

Still can't justify the cost of one. The cost of cut off wheels haven't came close to be the cost of a plasma cutter.[/quote:271af29b]

Rent one if you've got a lot of cutting to do. :!:

Stupid question alert!

I notice the smokestack is on the same side of the smoker as the firebox. I guess I've never seen that before. Is there some benefit to doing it that way?

It was a lot of fun watching that slide show!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom