Building a pro UDS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Added it to favorites for future ref...tell greg thx for taking the time, im sure alot of people will find it very usefull. Gunna check out the kingsford lid ... been looking for one that will fit properly ... had to modify my weber lid and would like to get it back to normal so I can use it again on the weber.

Thanks Boy interesting site. Now when I first got a glimpse of the fellas big square pit I thought maybe he had snuck over here and swiped my pit Fred and put some good intakes on him. So I rush to the winder to look out and thankfully Fred is still there. I'm gonna make one of them barrell smokers one of these days most likely. If the Lord's willing of course.

bigwheel

thepickledpig has a really easy set of build instructions as well...and that forum post here from tri-tip has a lot of the normally overlooked details that I was looking for. I read like 300+ pages of the bbq bretheren's forum post on UDS and think you can get just as much of the basic build from thepickledpig or the posts here.

thanks for the link-i am going to read his as well before I start drilling on my reconditioned drum.

PS- after reconditioning a drum, I am a firm believer in build the simple version first, and build the most badass rig ever next time when you know what you are doing...because I still dont know what I am doing.

EDIT- if we were super-pro we would be able to fabricate like this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_pNTgfr ... re=related

I have some real envy for those grates.

Good cite. I wouldn't use that fire pan thought. It's galvanized which contains Led. :cry:

I learned mine from the pickled pig too.

I think BBQ central needs a centralized, sticky'd UDS build thread so we can compile all of this- I don't claim to know Jack about this process, but I learned so much from our own forum members...and I'm not done yet. Documenting the progress members make and the q&a's that go on here could be extremely useful in the future as a reference.

I'm down. You start it. Could call it the BBQ central official UDS thread or something. I'll repost my latest, in the thread. We could even post comps and cooks in the thread. UDSs are very popular cause they cook so amazing. In all modesty we always have a crowd, sometimes 25 deep at comps. Folks taking pictures and asking a million questions. Them dudes across the way with the big stick burners aint getting the same attention. Point is the public has affection for them and BBQ enthusiasts do too. :P

Nick said:
I think BBQ central needs a centralized, sticky'd UDS build thread so we can compile all of this- I don't claim to know Jack about this process, but I learned so much from our own forum members...and I'm not done yet. Documenting the progress members make and the q&a's that go on here could be extremely useful in the future as a reference.

That would be great.

Also, I was looking at your link for Chaney grills...what is the purpose of the "upper" section. It looks like it would be cumbersome to use having it behind the lower grate like that.

Jared

Tri Tip said:
Good cite. I wouldn't use that fire pan thought. It's galvanized which contains Led. :cry:

I learned mine from the pickled pig too.
yea no galvanized steel grates or pans in your pits not only does it contain lead but zinc is present also. ;)

Back
Top Bottom