Big Smokey Smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like the idea of the firebox under the pit for even smoking, but I wonder if it gets the pit too hot? Just build a smaller fire?

Larry Wolfe said:
Looks like it would tip over fairly easily to me. Other than that, pretty cool!
great point Larry, I agree, I think the 'main' legs should attach to the to the bottom of the top drum and go out at 45 or maybe a bit less of an angle in both directions, the bottom drum being supported from the top one, if that makes any sense to ya

Shawn White said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":4lq00dvk]Looks like it would tip over fairly easily to me. Other than that, pretty cool!
great point Larry, I agree, I think the 'main' legs should attach to the to the bottom of the top drum and go out at 45 or maybe a bit less of an angle in both directions, the bottom drum being supported from the top one, if that makes any sense to ya[/quote:4lq00dvk]

Shawn, makes sense to me!

Can you post more close up detailed photos from different angles?

Ive been thinking about it for a while and now that ive seen that set up i would like to duplicate it

Smoked Ribs on the Big Baby Double-Barreled Cooker

I built this smoker a fews years ago. It works pretty good. I found the plans at http://www.thesmokering.com/pits/metalp ... efault.jsp.

Saturday I cooked a slab of ribs and I must say they were Great. This is my first post (I lost one post in cyberspace a few minutes ago). Hopefully you will be able to see the pictures I'm trying to upload.

You can see more photos at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cleglue/a ... CB8Y8W1vl3

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Where does one get the barrels at, you guys with barrel smokers, did you order them on line, are they used, etc? I was always curious where you got them from.

Whatever you do ... you need to make sure that they are food grade barrels !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm...make a Big Smoky out of barrels that once contained something combutstible, or contained hydrochloric/floric acid, TMB, Diborane, and so on, and so on, and so on.....

Be carefull people!

Thanks for all the pics, youve just convinced me to build one this summer!

Barrels

A friend of mine got me two barrels where he works. They contained regular motor oil which easily burned out. I cleaned them with soap and water before cutting into the barrels. After building the smoker the residue easily burned out.

Barrel burn out!

I haven't been to this part of the forum in awhile. My top barrel actually burned out (I believe probably from too high of a fire when getting the wood to coals. Also these barrels were pretty light weight. I don't know if I'll replace it or not because I had only built it about 2 years ago. If I find a heavy duty barrel I may. I do like this cooker. It actually introduced me to the slow cooking or true BBQ. I purchased an inexpensive offset smoker from Barbeque Galores

http://www.bbqgalore.com/store/item.bbq?invky=4089929.
It was $219.00 when I bought is last week.

I'm learning to control the fire.

About cleaning the ash out. I have firebrick in the bottom barrel along with sand to fill the cracks. I usually use a fireplace type shovel and shovel out the ash. The shop vac is a good idea. I actually used the shop vac idea on the new offset smoker's firebox this weekend to remove the cold ash.
Thanks for that input.

I had problems with burning through the bottom barrel. This is my third. The top is in great shape. Still chugging away! I put a layer of bricks in this one. The last two I didn't. We will see if this helps.

Green Hornet said:
I had problems with burning through the bottom barrel. This is my third. The top is in great shape. Still chugging away! I put a layer of bricks in this one. The last two I didn't. We will see if this helps.

Your neighbor is one heck of a landscaper. :eek: :)

I think it's a great idea, but use new drums. Unless you get a used cooking oil drum I would always be suspect of what was in it. New drums are cheap and are sold in almost all major cities. Go for it and do a first class job. :!:

Back
Top Bottom