Big Ron's Pit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Ron1

Senior Cook
Here is my pit with added modifications. It was a 150 gallon propane tank, until a friend of the family transformed it to a nice trailer pit. I have plenty of storage with locks underneath as well as a job-box inbetween a mounted cooler and wood storage bin. I decided to add a small direct cooker mounted on top of the firewood bin for burgers, fajitas, or anything that can cook quiskly with out having to fire up the big pit. The main chamber has four removable racks and the firebox has a hatch for cooking beans or chili, or even a steak or warming tortillas and making quesadillas. I even have a 5 gallon water cooler mounted in the front with ice cold water for those long cooking sessions. I could not be happier!

Ching.... I mean Wow, that's nice man.. Bring one of them to Padre Island!!!! and we can have a FIESTA!!! Panchanga por siete dias!!!! :shock:

Nice looking rig Ron. I edited your post to make the pics in thumb format. Our fearless leader has a stroke when people post big pics.

That is a lovely looking and really sensible pit.

No wasted space anywhere. A place for everything.

Love it!!!

Thanks for fixing it Bill. How do you post just thumbnails? Someone please pm me instructions. I had enough trouble learning how to post them in the first place! :D Thanks for the comments guys and gals! Can you believe this was his first BBQ pit to ever make?? This guy is great, he is very shy and does not want to be recognized or I would put his name out there, he's got talent! I am very happy!

I do not know what it is called. I am sure one of the guy's here can answer that. I do know they sell it at the local hardware store in the harware isle, next to the angle iron. This is not heavy duty grade but it will work for a while and it inexpensive to replace. I wish I could weld, I would make another one of these out of a 75 gallon propane tank for my home.

Hey Ron very nice pit, I was thinking about using an old used propane tank like that by was told the metal leaves a after taste on the food, is that true?

Now I can't make up my mind what to use an old fuel oil or propane tank!

Also the metal used for the grates is called "Expended Metal"

Northsmoke, no aftertaste. To get the smell out the welder used FABULOSO® Lavender All-Purpose Cleaner. I love the pit and would highly recomend using an old tank for a bbq pit. I am going to look for another for my home, this time smaller possibly 75 gallon as this one is 150 gallon. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom