Best Pit Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bigwheel said:
Well thanks for that tip on the Spice Wine..thought them was some kinda offset for some reason.

bigwheel

SteerCrazy said:
If you like Stumps check out the Spicewine Smokers. There are 3 sizes and the large is more than enough space to comp cook.

Actually Bigwheel, Stumps makes an offset smoker as well...

bigwheel said:
Well thanks for that tip on the Spice Wine..thought them was some kinda offset for some reason.

bigwheel

SteerCrazy said:
If you like Stumps check out the Spicewine Smokers. There are 3 sizes and the large is more than enough space to comp cook.

BW, there's a podcast Greg did with Jay from Spicewine, worth a listen

Well the cook has a lot to do with it I know. However....the right equipment make it a whole lot easier I think.
Takes some of the pressure off ya during a comp so the cook can focus more on the meat and flavor.

And thanks Crazy, I'll take another look at stumps as well as check out that pod.

Also, thank Zilla, was wondering about those so called "fine tuned Klose's" and there extra large price tag. (scrathin out klose)

Anyone know about Holstein Pits?

For you all that don't know, Im also building a vertical smoker out of an ol'water tank.
Today my wife called me at work and asked....... "honey, if your planning on buying a cooker.......why are you buildin one?" :shock:

Klose makes a great pit, but yes pricey. Gator Pit has a great budget smoker. I looked long and hard, this was the one I wanted, but I could not afford it so I had one built out of an old 150 gallon propane tank. Check out the gator pit website. They have a very selection of trailer pits with plenty of space. It is one of the best units for a starter comp pit and a very fair price. Rich (owner) is a great guy also.

Rag said:
Crock pot? :roll: :LOL: :LOL:
I think Amy has a Crockpot bbq pit. an electric thing you buy in BB&B. Now, if there were only a place to plug it in :)

Also, the idiots on QVC were pimping a pressure cooker saying you can have perfect ribs in 16 minutes. I guess they never heard of smoke before???

WildFireEric said:
Rag said:
Crock pot? :roll: :LOL: :LOL:
I think Amy has a Crockpot bbq pit. an electric thing you buy in BB&B. Now, if there were only a place to plug it in :)

Also, the idiots on QVC were pimping a pressure cooker saying you can have perfect ribs in 16 minutes. I guess they never heard of smoke before???

Probably marinate them in liquid smoke first and the pretend that the steam is really smoke. :LOL:

I've got one of just about every kind imaginable including:

Jedmaster
FEC 100
WSM
Primo Oval
Klose 20x42

But honestly of all the cookers that I own for pure simplicity, getting a good nights sleep, and not having to worry about mechanical malfunctions,
and cost I'd highly recommend my Stumps GF 223. They don't make them anymore but I hear that the new elite models are very good as well.

Great competition cooker for under 3k (probably closer to 2k but that OSU paint custom paint job added to the price considerably).

Kloset BBQR said:
I've got one of just about every kind imaginable including:

Jedmaster
FEC 100
WSM
Primo Oval
Klose 20x42

But honestly of all the cookers that I own for pure simplicity, getting a good nights sleep, and not having to worry about mechanical malfunctions,
and cost I'd highly recommend my Stumps GF 223. They don't make them anymore but I hear that the new elite models are very good as well.

Great competition cooker for under 3k (probably closer to 2k but that OSU paint custom paint job added to the price considerably).

I use the 222 and it is just right for comps. They will start making the 223 again in about two months.

Yeah, I heard that too. I heard that people were disappointed with the elite series. Something about the design of the smoker prevented the meat from getting much smoke.

I saw the Elite series at the Jack last October and thought they had made some nice improvements such as the tight latching door and the diamond plate reinforcement for the top of the cooker. I hope they incorporate some of those features in the new 223.

gatorpit, he does what you want, for what you want to pay, and has an excellent record at competitions.

zilla said:
Whatever you buy just don't get a Klose pit. They SUCK! :LOL:

OK Uncle Bubba your turn. :)

Not taking the bait Zilla. ;)

However, when Zilla saw my Klose at the American Royal last year I had to get him a bib to catch the drool. :LOL: ;)

When it comes to offsets...you get what you pay for. My Klose is a very tight pit. When it comes to offsets and different brands, make sure you just don't look...open the doors, listen to how they seal, feel the weight, knock on the steel, try to flex the doors, check the consistency and quality of the welds especially around the firebox, and very importantly...check to see how much smoke comes out the doors. I have none at all coming out. Also check resale value because you will, most likely, go bigger at some point.

Uncle Bubba said:
zilla said:
Whatever you buy just don't get a Klose pit. They SUCK! :LOL:

OK Uncle Bubba your turn. :)

Not taking the bait Zilla. ;)

However, when Zilla saw my Klose at the American Royal last year I had to get him a bib to catch the drool. :LOL: ;)

When it comes to offsets...you get what you pay for. My Klose is a very tight pit. When it comes to offsets and different brands, make sure you just don't look...open the doors, listen to how they seal, feel the weight, knock on the steel, try to flex the doors, check the consistency and quality of the welds especially around the firebox, and very importantly...check to see how much smoke comes out the doors. I have none at all coming out. Also check resale value because you will, most likely, go bigger at some point.
When is the new big pit coming Bubba :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom