Beginner WSM Mods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokin' U

Senior Cook
Alright, I don't have a Guru, I am not going to compete any time soon. What mods should I start with? Guru eyelets and lid thermometer? Anything else?

Another easy mod is to use some thin wire to "weld" the charcoal ring to the charcoal grate. That'll allow you to grab them as a unit and shake down the ash.
Or if you know someone with a welder... ya know.

I would use sand in the pan...I do and it works great plus no re-filling during overnight cooks.

Really, you only need a therm through the lid and might need to make 2-3 vent adjustments during your cook if that...that's all you really "NEED" to do. :!: :(

brian j said:
hey greg - i've been thinking of going with sand or even a dry water pan but i'm concerned about the effect of radient heat on food cooked on the bottom rack. how big of a problem is this? most food i do on the bottom rack our in there a long time (10+ hours).

Brian, I use sand for everything now and radiant heat is not a problem whatsoever, top or bottom rack. Just fill the water pan about 1/4 of the way with sand and then foil. The main thing with sand is to just watch your temps on the way up and make sure you make your vent adjustment before pit temps become too hot. I make my first and only adjustment when the dome temp hit's 200*, and then the WSM settles in nicely in the 240-260* range.

The lowest price I found so far is from Gadget Source. $39.99

Smokin' U said:
The lowest price I found so far is from Gadget Source. $39.99

Does that include shipping? I'm thinking about getting a third ET-73, they're great!

That doesn't include shipping. Looks like shipping is as low as $5.

My vote for mod to the WSM is also the ET 73...As it would appear that the top vent always remains open, I run my wires through there for the probes to the unit...

cflatt said:
I'll give a vote for the Maverick as well.....the guru eyelets sure are handy as well.
Amen brother, as long as Rempe doesn't tell you how to install them!

Don't even get me involved in this discussion! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom