Bandera Restore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
Looks like a great project. The lava rocks as per gas grills should be able to take the heat. Assuming you would be dumping them in the bottom of he cookchamber below the water pan perhaps? Thats the only place I can figger out where it would be feasible to place em. If you dumped them under the fire grate it will just rob you of necessary space to get air to the underside of the fire...make it mo difficult to clean out the dead ashes etc. As light and porus as they are not sure how much they would aid in heat rentention. Believe I would make an effort to find some fire bricks if I was gonna pursue this angle. They make some that are half as thick as the standard models. Sure everything in Belgium is made outta bricks. Should be easy to find some.

bigwheel

Old pit guy told me long time ago " No bricks or lava rock" as they hold moisture in a steel fire box. Right or wrong? I have no clue. 99.9 % of the time those old boy's know. Just my .02

Pigs

Well know several in this area who like to line the bottom of their fireboxes with fire bricks on trailerized offsets. First I heard of a water problemo. I used to could stuff 22 in the bottom of the cookchamber of my el cheapo Brinkmann offset. Set em in there in a "V" configuration under the grate and stacked up 3 or 4 on the end furthest from the firebox. Turned it into a total different cooker. Could leave it untended for longer periods etc. Also shrunk the hole from the cookchamber to the firebox by a good bit cuz the bricks blocked about half of it. Onliest prob was it made it heavier than a biotch. When it rained the end with the legs would sink into the ground.

bigwheel

MX1 said:
Finished up the heat baffle, trimmed it down to make it fit better. Picked up the other piece of aluminum stair tread and started working on it, to replace the missing louver for the air flow control. Have it mostly done, just have to cut the slots in it, and while I was drilling pilot holed for my saw, I burned up my drill.

Dang, the luck! So it will be a few days before I can get back on this.

Tim

Will update pics as soon as I get the parts installed.
Well? How is it going? We need a up date, pics and all that. ;) :LOL:

Pigs

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom