Authentic Southern Style Brick BBQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQMyWay

Assistant Cook
Hey all.

When I bought my house a few years back, I had to have some work done to my back yard. So, I found design for an authentic southern style brick bbq. I built the cost of the BBQ into my mortgage.

It has a fireplace on one side where you burn down the hickory (or whatever wood you are using) to coals. You then transfer those coals to another fireplace with a steel door. Above it is another opening with a steel door where you place your meat.

You do this every 45 minutes or so, burning wood down to charcoal and transferring the charcoal.

I only fire it up once ever couple of months, but it is quite a show stopper. I think the stone and brink creates an even heating environment and while labor intensive, it's fun to work on a Saturday or Sunday.

Does anyone out there have anything similar or am I the only nut job?

Dave

Lighten up Dave. It's not being a nut job cause you like to enjoy a unique way of preparing food.

Now if you was to load that up and bring it to a comp...........

Sounds great...like the boys said..take some pics...I couldn't afford a brick one...but I have a wooden smokehouse in the back yard....
Nick P built a brick oven pizza cooker for his dad..

Sounds mighty neat! Nieghbor feller had one, till he found out it was not really on his property, see, the snow plow sorta slid to far over an WHAM, they found out it was in the wrong place an didn't have ta repair it, so he finally tore it down. As I remember, some mighty tastey vittles came offin that thin!

Well Dave..can only echo the sentiments of the other folks. You a mighty fortunant fella to have a pit like that..especially if you get a good deal on wood. Have seen several in operation over the years and of course old Dave Lineback been preaching the virtues of such a configuration in cyberspace since Algore invented it and Old Shep was just a pup. Got complete plans somewhere on how his was built etc. You and him need to get to be pals if you aint already. He wont hardly talk to anybody who cooks on an offset on does any comp cooking. He also a real crappy Golfer from whut I heard. Apparently in NC bbq is a ritual with prescribed rules to follow. As far as I can tell they dont care whut it tastes like as long as its cooked in the prescribed way with the appropriate sauces at each stage of the operation. Or maybe they think if it aint cooked and sauced right they know it aint gonna be fittin to eat. Don't even axe about Bob in GA. :roll:

http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/wdh.htm

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well Dave..can only echo the sentiments of the other folks. You a mighty fortunant fella to have a pit like that..especially if you get a good deal on wood. Have seen several in operation over the years and of course old Dave Lineback been preaching the virtues of such a configuration in cyberspace since Algore invented it and Old Shep was just a pup. Got complete plans somewhere on how his was built etc. You and him need to get to be pals if you aint already. He wont hardly talk to anybody who cooks on an offset on does any comp cooking. He also a real crappy Golfer from whut I heard. Apparently in NC bbq is a ritual with prescribed rules to follow. As far as I can tell they dont care whut it tastes like as long as its cooked in the prescribed way with the appropriate sauces at each stage of the operation. Or maybe they think if it aint cooked and sauced right they know it aint gonna be fittin to eat. Don't even axe about Bob in GA. :roll:

http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/wdh.htm

bigwheel

Wow...talk about irony. I have talked to him via, and went off of his plans with some slight modifications.

I emailed him a couple of years back but received no reply. Didn't know where to reach him after that.

Small world.

Well glad you and whuts his face has go to be pals. I would hate to have to bring you down here to God's Country and try to give lessons on how the local bohunks do it. They usually use a wore our propane tank with a door on the backside and build the fire on the ground..Mesquite of course. That make anybody chunk rocks at Hickory. They work in shifts throwing the coals in from the backside. They takes turns whilst one half drinks the other half tends the fire. Speaking Lutherans of course or maybe Catholics. They both purty similar. You ever had a beer at Moravian Hall in Corpus? If they aint cooking that night you will never notice:) Way too many cute cow girls in tight Wranglers swigging on Lone Star.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well glad you and whuts his face has go to be pals.

bigwheel

I wouldn't say we are pals, but we did share a few emails back when I was building this BBQ pit.

Does he frequent this forum at all? Any way of emailing him these days?

Dave

Over the years I have heard a few folks mention his email list is still up but open by invitation only to others who share his views. Know Bob in GA is alive and well cuz a bunch of folks I know go up to his farm once a year or so and kill hawgs...eat..and other fun stuff like that. I will make some inquiries and repoat back. In the meantime try these emails if you aint already:

dlineback@bellsouth.net
dave.lineback@sunsetridge.com

Also go over and visit Bob and Ginger's website. If they don't know how to get a hold of Dave..or he don't want to be got ahold of...sure you could have a lot of fun clowning around with them.

http://www.bobinga.com/

bigwheel

the list is still there, but virtually inactive. I'm talking 3 or 4 posts/emails
every 4 or 5 months......and there is no talk of food prep anymore.

It's just a little socializing every now and then. It's a shame, because
there was incredible info when the list was hot.

Well glad to hear the boy is still in bizness on the list. I figgered a list composed of only folks who agree with each other was not a good marketing scheme to build up traffic. I learned many good thangs when that list was back in it's hey day...allowed alternant points of view etc. Ranked right up there with Thead's old list for a good while. Course old Dave and Bob is such hard haids it hard to co-moonicate with em without driving a person nuts most of the time:) When he went to the invitational only format I guess my invitation got lost in the mail or something..sniff sniff. :(

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom