Add a Heat Ballast to a Gasser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BchrisL

Senior Cook
img_263120_0_0df69ae4dc7ba34b04039c80964a6857.jpg

I have this old gasser that serves as a grill, a warming oven, and a baking oven from time to time.
img_263120_1_d67639a8d4aa81b4f25f66f7c9712899.jpg

I got a piece of granite that was scrap from a kitchen countertop and I put it on the top deck of the grill. My thoughts were that it would soak up a lot of heat and be very slow to cool down when the top was opened. It heats up and stays hot for a long time.
img_263120_2_e73cf1ccd1361204450c95d8fe717f92.jpg

It is thick and weighs about 15 to 20 lbs.

I usually use it to place things like grilled veggies after they are cooked to hold while I cook more. Sometimes there is not enough space on the grill to cook everything at once. I recently discovered it also beams heat onto the top side of things cooking on the main grill.

Last Christmas morning, we wanted biscuits with breakfast, but the ham was occupying the oven inside. It was about 20 degrees outside. With nothing to lose, I lit off the grill and let it heat for about a half hour. I sprayed the top of the stone with Pam and wiped it off, the placed the frozen biscuits on it. I checked back about 30 minutes later and they were perfect. Browned just right. We had the best tasting biscuits I had ever eaten that morning.

Great plan on that. My rusty old gasser could not stand that much weight on the top rack. I have a chicom cast iron griddle that I use in the upright of the big pit to accomplish sorta the same task. Smart thinking on that.

Killer idea.....I bet a nice Stromboli would cook great on that!!!

2rzz22v.jpg

ape5fm.jpg

Last edited:
No no..its a stromboli. Sort of a pizza encased in dough. Best one I ever had come off a roach coach. They shaped the dough into what looked like a canoe shape and piled all the goodies in the little boat and the whole mess was nailed together by melted cheese on top. It was sinfully good. The one in pic looks like it come from a professional photo shoot..lol. There may be some tricksters afoot around here.

It's a pizza sandwich...... LoL I know what it is, others yet call it a Cal-zone, depending where in the country you are.

No no..its a stromboli. Sort of a pizza encased in dough. Best one I ever had come off a roach coach. They shaped the dough into what looked like a canoe shape and piled all the goodies in the little boat and the whole mess was nailed together by melted cheese on top. It was sinfully good. The one in pic looks like it come from a professional photo shoot..lol. There may be some tricksters afoot around here.

Did you happen to read my signature or are you being silly

Well aint read the sig line lately but do seem to recall you are a trickster food photographer. The nice brown crust uses Walnut colored varnish perhaps..Yep I aint as dumb as I look..lol.

Hey now brother, let's ease back on that "roach coach" talk!:grin:

Well aint read the sig line lately but do seem to recall you are a trickster food photographer. The nice brown crust uses Walnut colored varnish perhaps..Yep I aint as dumb as I look..lol.

Kitchen bouquet......I'm eating that sucker not hangin it on the wall:supz:

Ahh ok..smart thinking. Looked mighty good. We have a pretty good amount of pasta/pizza places around here who make very good ones. They are mostly owned by Albanians who come from Noo Yawk City and are kin to each other. Went to one which was supposedly owned by a real Eyetalian but his stuff was not very good was too expensive. Funny how that works huh?

Back
Top Bottom