a smoker for my household

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got an old chum who has a vaguely similar set up on his big offset pit. The firebox and cookchamber are joined by a rectangular neck which has a flap inside of it so you can fiddle with the flow twixt the two areas. He usually builds a huge fire in the fire box then throttles back on the flapper to control the heat level. Not sure why but that configuration sure does produce a creosote flavor on the meat and aroma in the atmosphere. Me and the welder got to talking about it one time and the welder thinks what is happening is only the top layer of volatile gasses are being drawn off from the inferno in the firebox with such mixture containing all sorts of unappetizing compounds. Tastes like the meat has been cooked using rail road cross ties for the wood ration. Whutcha think?

bigwheel

i have determined that instead of a single middle exaust stack i am going with two stacks one at each end of cooking chamber.with the butterfly dampner doors splitting the heat and smoke exiting from the firebox and entering the chamber then the beveled heat shield continues the distribution of heat to each end (left and right ends of smoker)of chamber there by giving a good even temp thru out the whole cooking chamber.i believe a single exaust stack mounted in center on top may cause the firebox to draft straight up through the the middle of chamber between the the grate and front and back wall.hard to explain but tomorrow if weather permiting i will install some of the chamber top. and if possible start on stacks.more pics coming.thank you for your interest opinions and advice are very welcomed and greatly appreciated. :D

here are some pics of my progress on the top of smoker.the center square hole on the top of back wall is steam kettle inlet.the exaust outlets are top center on both ends.after stacks and dampners are finished will start on double hung doors.the rain started so i rolled up for the day :( .

Attachments

• 0124101310.jpg
    0124101310.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 791
  • 0124101311.jpg
    0124101311.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 792
  • 0124101314.jpg
    0124101314.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 764
Well funny you should mention this split stack deal. I tried to get the drunk welder to make my pit sorta like that. I wanted a central firebox in the middle with two uprights with stacks located one on each end. Sorta like two NB Banderas welded together at the fireboxes. Anyway the welder claimed they wouldnt draw in unison blah blah blah. So he built it the way he wanted with a few of my idears throwed in. Fortunatly he worked cheap. Let us know how it works. Looks like your already commited to the concept:)

bigwheel

the rain let up and i proceeded with chamber :D .plenty of room to slide a pig off the fire.gonna start on hinges for the double hung doors.will hang the doors and the stacks next then the steam kettle and piping, the grates for the firebox.the last main piece to build and install will be the firebox door and vent. then at this point i am planning on setting smoker up in its permanent location where as i can start the bricking around the bottom of smoker which will be fully enclosed.overall i had a good day today with the build would like to be completed with it by spring. :)

Attachments

• 0124101714.jpg
    0124101714.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 777
  • 0124101715.jpg
    0124101715.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 773
  • 0124101715a.jpg
    0124101715a.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 789
hinges for the pit doors

Attachments

• 0128101744.jpg
    0128101744.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 773
these are the finished hinges for the pit. :)

Attachments

• 0202101814.jpg
    0202101814.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 742
  • 0202101504.jpg
    0202101504.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 765
Wow you coulda fooled me. I thought it was gonna lay flat. Great idear to burn up the fat as it accumulates. Surprised mo folks dont follow that plan. That burnt grease flavor is hard to beat. Back when I had my old el cheapo Brinkmann offset I would catch the grease at the drain hole and carry it around to the other end and dump it on the fire. That give an immediate waft of very good odors. You is a very smart young man and you are real handy at the macro camera work. I tried it a few times back before my camera broke itself. I had some mixed results to say the least. Learned its a pain in the coola. Way too much manuel labor for fat lazy gringos who sweat a lot:)

bigwheel

i am using my cell phone camera for the updates just hope i don't overload with too many pics.
i have been smoking meat since i was kneehigh to a grasshopper with my dad and brothers.it is one thing in this world i really enjoy.what i like more is talking with others and sharings ideas and procedures that improve the results.you cant beat a good cooking with good people and cold beer.i really appreciate the feedback and am very willing to try new ideas and suggestions for a grand bbq pit.

bigwheel said:
Got an old chum who has a vaguely similar set up on his big offset pit. The firebox and cookchamber are joined by a rectangular neck which has a flap inside of it so you can fiddle with the flow twixt the two areas. He usually builds a huge fire in the fire box then throttles back on the flapper to control the heat level. Not sure why but that configuration sure does produce a creosote flavor on the meat and aroma in the atmosphere. Me and the welder got to talking about it one time and the welder thinks what is happening is only the top layer of volatile gasses are being drawn off from the inferno in the firebox with such mixture containing all sorts of unappetizing compounds. Tastes like the meat has been cooked using rail road cross ties for the wood ration. Whutcha think?

bigwheel
i mainly cook with hickory,red oak sometimes pecan i don't put meat on until coals develope then its wet chips for smoke.

i got the first set of outside doors mounted.the two center doors will have inside mounted hinges. :)

Attachments

• 0207101616.jpg
    0207101616.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 721
  • 0207101643.jpg
    0207101643.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 714
  • 0207101644.jpg
    0207101644.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 732
Looks good. That thang is a lot mo bigga than it looks in some of the photos. That sledge hammer sorta gave some perspective to the scale. Thanks. Neva woulda thought of inside mounted hinges. Smart thinnin.

bigwheel

the sideways pics gave me a headache

Attachments

• 0605101703a.jpg
    0605101703a.jpg
    448.3 KB · Views: 650
  • 0605101706.jpg
    0605101706.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 651
Hogmeat, that's one heck of a project you got going there. I would love to do something like that if I could weld. I had a little training in the Navy in welding but it was just enough to learn that it took some real skill and time to get good at it. I did my little "J" practice with the bead and that's about as far as I got.

Great job!!

more pics

Attachments

• 0608101912.jpg
    0608101912.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 678
  • 0608101914.jpg
    0608101914.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 633

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom