just starting to vend help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Rob,

Did he invite you to vend or did you approach him? Has he asked to be compensated, I mean he is making money from the auction.

I guess if you are his employee or acting on his behalf you might owe him something, but if you're acting as your own business there, I don't see why you owe him anything. Just a wag on my part, be interested in other's opinions.

Unless he has asked, or promised you exclusivity for a fee, I would not pay anything. You are doing him as much of a favor as he is doing you.

Give him nothing. If he pisses and moans, then work something out. Make it a flat fee if you do well, if not so well a % (5-10%) of your profit would be sufficient. Don't do it on total sales or you could be giving him a big chunk of money for really doing nothing.

Another thing to consider, is that you may tank on any given day. Last Memorial day I cooked for 300 and only 105 bought meals. If I would have been paying a fee on top of my loss, I would have REALLY been screwed!

beachbummer said:
I was an auctioneer for 5-6 years (prior to my BBQ interests) and we allowed our food vendor to provide the service for no charge. Auctioneers want to have quality eats at their events, however their primary interest is making top dollar (for themselves and their consignees) and they do not want, nor need the worries of food.

A couple of tips:
Have hotdogs - people in this part of the country expect to have them at an uction.

Pies / sweets are always good sellers along with Great "Q" ...

Good luck ... you should do well, because auctions are as much about the social aspect as they are about finding treasures.

Dang Beachbummer. Where have you been? Dont stay gone so long next time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom