Brisket Pastrami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boar_d_laze

Senior Cook
Not at all intended to compete with Mike's eye of round pastrami, but to supplement it and give some insight into the process.

I think the word "pastrami" is Hungarian, but I'm not absolutely sure. I believe it's a noun and a verb that refers to a semi-dry marination process. Semi-dry in that spices go on dry, but pull moisture out fo the meat, which then marinates in its own, spiced juices. In the good delis, "pastrami" is brisket and a pastramied round is "Chicago spiced beef." the difference is that one expects a little fat on a pastrami.

In order to get the right texture on a beef brisket pastrami or a corned beef brisket, it's helpful to throw in a braise. Here's an original recipe for brisket pastrami you might enjoy trying along with the eye of round pastrami.

I'm not sure what Bigwheel did to his round when he tried to make "corned beef," but the brine concentration and time in brine are very important. Also, smoking a corned beef is usually not a good idea.

Anyway, here's the pastrami recipe.

PASTRAMI

1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup black peppercorns
4 tbs coriander seeds
2 tbs juniper berries
2 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp dry ginger

1 brisket flat, trimmed to about 1/8â€

Hey Boar looks good got it copied. Now just to clarify I never tried corning any round. My less than stellar attempt on corned beef involved chuck roast.

bigwheel

[quote="bigwheel"My less than stellar attempt on corned beef involved chuck roast. bigwheel[/quote]

Chuck's difficult when cooked the way corned beef should be cooked -- slow simmered in a fortified broth as as a giant piece of soup meat. Most parts of the chuck falls apart into shreds.

Rich

Will defintely agree with you on that piece of advice. No mo corned chuck roasts for me. Wished you had could have offered this tidbit of wisdom about 30 years ago. You coulda shortened up my learning curve :LOL:

bigwheel

Brine for corned beef - pastrami.

Pastrami rub

Pastrami

These are the recipes I use for pastrami from scratch or from commercial corned beef around Paddy's day.

At 45 minutes / lb in the smoker and taking it to 165 I haven't needed to braise it, the rub tends to fall off if you do braise.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom