sauce question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I spend a lot of money on rubs and seasonings. I really hate to cover all that flavor with a sauce.

If there were a sauce that would offer all the things that we need a sauce to do such as add moisture, make the meat hold together and stick to the bun better or just make the meat seem a little wet then I would buy it.

Burnt Food Dude said:
I know saucing pulled pork is a personal and regional thing butt...

My wife and I like our pork au naturale but I lean towards vinager.

Do you like a tomato, vinager, mustard or no sauce?

I can use with either of the three to be honest. I perfer mustard normaly, how about a mix of all three???

Diva Q said:
tomato - but that is only because I probably haven't had a decent vinegar yet :)

Diva,

Here is a very easy one from a mod at another site.

Smokin Okies Vinegar Mop for Pulled Pork
(also called an Eastern Carolina Sauce)

2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
2 tablespoons salt (I like the flavor in Kosher/Sea Salt and bigger granules)
2 tablespoon red pepper (crushed)
1 teaspoon cayenne (I've also used Hungarian Paprika)

Don't need to cook this sauce, just combine, let sit overnight. Put this on your Butt, it'll go wild.

I prefer a KC style/NC style hybrid sauce. Sweet with a definite vinegar influence and red pepper flakes..................................topped with creamy coleslaw of course!

John A. said:
[quote="Diva Q":2urlwydc]tomato - but that is only because I probably haven't had a decent vinegar yet :)

Diva,

Here is a very easy one from a mod at another site.

Smokin Okies Vinegar Mop for Pulled Pork
(also called an Eastern Carolina Sauce)

2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
2 tablespoons salt (I like the flavor in Kosher/Sea Salt and bigger granules)
2 tablespoon red pepper (crushed)
1 teaspoon cayenne (I've also used Hungarian Paprika)

Don't need to cook this sauce, just combine, let sit overnight. Put this on your Butt, it'll go wild.[/quote:2urlwydc]

Thank you John. Sounds quite good.

I have another comp in 2 weeks. I will make an extra butt and give it a go.

All depends on my mood. I like all styles of sauces. But if I had to pick a favorite, it would be Reverend Marvins Hot, hands down.

I dont ever sauce, exept ribs sometimes & chicken always.
I will set out sauces for those who want em. I do like to put differnt sauces in small ramicans to sample & taste the different flavors

Diva Q said:
tomato - but that is only because I probably haven't had a decent vinegar yet :)
Try this one Diva, great flavor with the ketchup.
2 c Cider vinegar
1 1/3 c water
1/2 c kethup plus 2 Tbs.
1/4 c packed brown sugar
5 teas. salt
4 teas. red pepper flakes
1 teas. cracked black pepper
1 teas. white pepper
Mix everything and let it set a while.

Puff said:
Diva Q said:
Try this one Diva, great flavor with the ketchup.
2 c Cider vinegar
1 1/3 c water
1/2 c kethup plus 2 Tbs.
1/4 c packed brown sugar
5 teas. salt
4 teas. red pepper flakes
1 teas. cracked black pepper
1 teas. white pepper
Mix everything and let it set a while.

Thanks Puff saved that one for myself as well. Sounds great!!!

Definately a mix of vinegar and tomato for my taste buds. I worked on my sauce for 3+ years before I was happy with. And so it matches the flavor of my pork and chicken, that rub recipe is a big part of my dry ingredients for the sauce. Nice and thin so it doesn't block the flavor of the meat.

Tim

WalterSC said:
I can use with either of the three to be honest. I perfer mustard normaly, how about a mix of all three???

Walter, I was the table captain at a contest where the team used a very yellow mustard sauce on the pork. It looked horrible, the mustard turned the pork a neon, florescent lime green color. The flavor was pretty good but I don't think the judges could get over the color. It scored in the middle of the pack but I thought it should have been higher.

I don't eat pork but for contests I use a mix of both a KC sauce and a NC sauce.

Rich Decker said:
WalterSC said:

Walter, I was the table captain at a contest where the team used a very yellow mustard sauce on the pork. It looked horrible, the mustard turned the pork a neon, florescent lime green color. The flavor was pretty good but I don't think the judges could get over the color. It scored in the middle of the pack but I thought it should have been higher.

I don't eat pork but for contests I use a mix of both a KC sauce and a NC sauce.

Hiya Rich, well that`s true most contest`s will be either tomato, vinegar or the combination of both. In Augusta last year I came up with a mustard jalapeno flake sauce that went really well with the crowd and the chicken thighs and wings. I also brought a blackberry bbq sauce that did well as well , with the pulled pork.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom