Generator Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diva Q

Executive Chef
Ok all I am thinking of buying an inexpensive generator at Costco. I can't afford a really nice honda one that is quiet so i was thinking of buying the less expensive one and then having a cover built for it with cork inside to cut down on the noise.

I have no idea if this is feasible or safe.

Can you give me your opinions or thoughts on this please.

Diva, IMO, a cover wont work, exhaust has to escape so a cover defeats the purpose, also will get to hot inside a box, may have to spend a couple more bucks and buy a quiet generator :(

I have my Granddaddy's old 1970's Sears Alternator. Yean an Alternator not called a Generator back them.

She makes some noise but still starts by the 3rd pull and pumps out 2000 watts.

Be loud and proud!
:evil:

Diva Q said:
Ok all I am thinking of buying an inexpensive generator at Costco. I can't afford a really nice honda one that is quiet so i was thinking of buying the less expensive one and then having a cover built for it with cork inside to cut down on the noise.

Diva what are you planning on powering with the generator? If you don't need a ton of juice you can get a Power Pack that will supply 110V power for small appliances. They're fairly inexpensive and you just recharge them.

Diva Q said:

I imagine if it is loud you won't have a lot of appreciative neighbors. ;)

Diva Q said:
I need to power 2 traegers, 1 coffee maker, 1 water cooler
1 electric knife and rope lights.

Are you going to a BBQ Comp or on a vacation??? :LOL: I'd suggest you buy two XL Primo's, they don't need electricity! :LOL:

Why not aproach HONDA themselves with who you are and what you are doing.

Offer them some free "HONDA" banner placement on your tent/set-up and on your website for a brand spankin new generator.

You may soon be known as "Diva Q"....sponsered by HONDA! :D

Maybe they'll even give you a HONDA golf cart to scoot around the competition's grounds with!

Smokey_Joe said:
Why not aproach HONDA themselves with who you are and what you are doing.

Offer them some free "HONDA" banner placement on your tent/set-up and on your website for a brand spankin new generator.

Maybe they'll even give you a HONDA golf cart to scoot around the competition's grounds with!

LOL um I did.

No response.

Diva Q said:
I need to power 2 traegers, 1 coffee maker, 1 water cooler
1 electric knife and rope lights.

Diva, make sure the rating you read on the generator is the continuous power and not the "max surge or burst (whatever they want to call it) . then total up the devices you want to plug into it (they most likely will say) and make sure you are getting enough generator or if its tooooo much. You would be surprised at the power the coffee maker could draw as well as the water cooler. make sure it has plenty of room to breathe, if you cover it or get it hot you will notice (hopefully) it start to brown out on the power. If you need to put it some distance away make sure you get a very heavy gauge extension to tun to your site.

Diva Q said:
[quote="Smokey_Joe":23410264]Why not aproach HONDA themselves with who you are and what you are doing.

LOL um I did.

No response.[/quote:23410264]

You would have to cook for em in Japan to git a response.

Diva I'm also an electrical contractor. If you give me the wattage or the amps of the traegers & watercooler I can tell ya how big a genset ya gonna need. A Mr coffee single pot household type coffee maker is 1500 watts. rope lites draw very little wattage unless you are thinking over 100ft, elec. knife about 100watts under a load. Yamaha also makes a quite genset.

Burnt Food Dude said:
Water cooler? :shock:

I guess if you've got the power... I'd like to drag a water cooler too but my wife doesn't want to lug it around. She says we take enough poop with us.

Ok I will admit this is a bit of an indulgence but my teammate owns a table top hot and cold water water cooler. You would be surprised how handy they can be at a comp.

Thank you JB & Cflatt and everyone for the advice. I will let you know the total watts of the Traegers and everything. (I just have to find out)

ANd I forgot we also use a shop light (with those big long fluorescent bulbs) as well. Makes it easier to work in the car garage thing at night.

When we set up it is a really nice site. Very comfy.

OK the Traegers each take 300 watts to start up fr the first 4 minutes then they drop down to 50 watts per hour.

The water tank takes approx. (waiting for my water depot to call me back)

The lighting takes approx ??? they use c8 Flourescent bulbs but I have no clue the wattage

If your going to have a vehicle handy might be whut you need is called an inverter. Hook it up to the car/truck/RV battery with whut looks like jumper cables and it turn it into useable AC current for household applicances. If you find one which will pull a coffee pot thats purty high amps or whutever. I throw some ice in an Igloo an ditch the water cooler. Concentrate on running the pellet muncher. Crick water coffee aint too bad. I give about 70 bucks for mine at Wally World. Only time I used it a fella wanted to run a lap top compooter at a chili cookoff and it work just fine. Just trying to cover all the bases here. Just make sure you aint the last one to leave in case you need jumper start on your battery. Tragers will run on inverters. Salesman tole me that one time.

bigwheel

Diva Q said:
OK the Traegers each take 300 watts to start up fr the first 4 minutes then they drop down to 50 watts per hour.

The water tank takes approx. (waiting for my water depot to call me back)

The lighting takes approx ??? they use c8 Flourescent bulbs but I have no clue the wattage

I'm assuming that the Traegars are 120 Volts, so that means they draw about 2.5 amps for the first 4 minutes and then less than .5 amps thereafter.

Watts = Volts X Amps.

Flourescent lights are low wattage.

May want to stagger startup to get all items online to minimize to startup spike.

Keep in mind most comps (especially Oinktoberfest :LOL: ) have a fairly well enforced quiet time....hope that generator is quiet, because Wittdog needs his beauty sleep.

Bruce B said:
Keep in mind most comps (especially Oinktoberfest :LOL: ) have a fairly well enforced quiet time....hope that generator is quiet, because Wittdog needs his beauty sleep.

Well this is exactly my concern. I know these men can be very delicate. So I want to ensure they have plenty of time to get some decent shut eye, and feel refreshed and ready to BBQ the following morning.

Back
Top Bottom