Membrane off or on when cooking ribs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Off for the full low and slow, but if I am going to finish them on a grill with a glaze, then I have left them on for the low and slow part and then when I start them on the grill have them bone side down over a medium hot to hot grill and glaze the meat side, while the heat burns away the membrane.

Did them last with an apricot glaze that was wonderful.

I pull the brain if just doing a rack or two. For a large scale where it impractical to fully de brain em a good strategy is to lightly cut through the brain on the bone side betwixt each bone with a real sharp knife. Just enough to cut through it without cutting into the meat too much. That break the brain into smaller segments which will tend to wither away during the cooking process. Another strategy is to cut a bunch of X's and Z's on the bone side. Old butcher pal does it like that. It makes it look a little scruffy is the only problemo with that method.

bigwheel

I pull it off. I've heard the same thing about moisture.

Before I knew anything about smoking ribs...I'd just put the slab of spares on the grill and cook them...after they were cooked I'd always have this film stuff in my mouth that just didn't chew well (the membrane)!

I will pull it off the majority of the time, say 95%. If it's just the family eating and I'm lazy, I'll leave it on.

Depending on the way them bones look before........iffy.
A couple of times I've pulled the membrane off and you have bare bones.....not good.
Other than that I always cook ribs sans membrane 8)

I can't remember the last time so many of us have all agreed on something on this board...except for that, "Do you think Larry has a big head?" question.
[smilie=a_doh.gif] [smilie=a_holyshit.gif] :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom