flipp'in ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I have flipped and I have not flipped but more important to me is how the bone side looks. If the ribs are nice a meaty then it is ok. THey will hold together nicely and however if they are a little on the thin side then I am going to flip and keep an eye on them so there is no tear through of the bones. I like pull back but not tearing through.

Sometimes I flip, sometimes I don't it depends on how the individual racks are cooking. I will flip if the rib seems to be taking longer to cook and I will wrap them and cook them meat side down to keep them from drying out with the longer cook. If they seem to be cooking fast I will let them go bone side down. My prefrence is to wrap and flip about 2 hours into the cook. I let the ribs tell me what to do on any given day.

Nick Prochilo said:
I'm with bigwheel here. When you cook them meat side down, the bones form a sort of bowl that helps hold moisture during the cook.

A professional Chef posted elsewhere about one of his helpers loading up a Southern Pride meat side down and not discovering it until way into the cook. Deciding it was too late to do anything about it he left them to finish up like that and ended up with his best ribs ever. His theory supports Nick's statement about the bowl holding moisture and rendering down through the racks. It's now his standard way of doing ribs.

oct_97 said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":h5i8v8ay]I'm with bigwheel here. When you cook them meat side down, the bones form a sort of bowl that helps hold moisture during the cook.

A professional Chef posted elsewhere about one of his helpers loading up a Southern Pride meat side down and not discovering it until way into the cook. Deciding it was too late to do anything about it he left them to finish up like that and ended up with his best ribs ever. His theory supports Nick's statement about the bowl holding moisture and rendering down through the racks. It's now his standard way of doing ribs.[/quote:h5i8v8ay]

Now giving credit where credit is due.....Bigwheel posted that a while back and it seems to work for me.

Back
Top Bottom